How many areas around the world that wanted secession have succeeded from the countries they are in?

I was thinking of this due to current issues with Scotland and others who have or had areas that want independence Basque in Spain, Taiwan and Hong Kong in China, Quebec in Canada, Kashmir in India, Kashmir in Pakistan, Kashmir in China, Kurds in Iraq, Kurds in Turkey, Kurds in Iran, Bougainville in Papua New Guinea,

• Datx
    Favorite Answer

For recent secessions I'd look into Kosovo and South Sudan. There are a whole bunch of legal issues, and possibilities for war in both countries (South Sudan more so than Kosovo). They are the only two recent secessions that I can think of that were successful. Also, East Libya might break off from Libya.

U r wrong Kashmiris want independence from Endia not from Pakistan, Pakistani kashmir is known as Azad Kashmir mean liberated kashmir.Xinjiang province of China, Balochistan in Iran

Obviously you give your opinion without having any idea about the case of Basque area in Spain.

I think you must have at less a little idea about one subject before of speaking, in the case of

basque area is evently that you don't have any idea.

We don't want the independence, small ignorant!!!!!

• Cosmos

How about Sindhi, Bloch in Pakistan?

ever hear of the United states of America/ former colony of great Britain until about 1780s

Scotland is not an area!