Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 9 years ago

why don't American know about ''bonus army movement in 1932'', they only know ''1989 tiananmen movement''?

tanks were sent to DC to shoot innocent veterans. who is the ''tank man'' in this movement? does anyone know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

Police shooting

The marchers remained at their campsite waiting for President Hoover to act. On July 28, 1932, Attorney General William D. Mitchell ordered the police to remove the Bonus Army veterans from their camp. When the veterans moved back into it, they rushed two policemen trapped on the second floor of a building. The cornered police drew their revolvers and shot two veterans, William Hushka and Eric Carlson, who died later.[9][10]

William Hushka (1895–1932) was an immigrant to the United States from Lithuania. When the U.S. entered World War I in 1917, he sold his butcher shop in St. Louis, Missouri and joined the United States Army. After the war he lived in Chicago, Illinois.[10] Hushka is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Eric Carlson (1894 – July 28, 1932) was a U.S. veteran from Oakland, California. He fought in the trenches of France in World War I.[10][11][12] He was interred in Arlington National Cemetery.[13]

When told of the shootings, President Hoover ordered the army to evict the Bonus Army from Washington.

[edit] U.S. Army intervention

At 4:45 p.m., commanded by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry Regiment, Fort Howard, Maryland, and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, supported by six battle tanks commanded by Maj. George S. Patton, formed in Pennsylvania Avenue while thousands of civil service employees left work to line the street and watch. The Bonus Marchers, believing the troops were marching in their honor, cheered the troops until Patton ordered the cavalry to charge them—an action which prompted the spectators to yell, "Shame! Shame!"

Shacks that members of the Bonus Army erected on the Anacostia Flats burning after the confrontation with the military.

After the cavalry charged, the infantry, with fixed bayonets and adamsite gas, an arsenical vomiting agent, entered the camps, evicting veterans, families, and camp followers. The veterans fled across the Anacostia River to their largest camp and President Hoover ordered the assault stopped. However Gen. MacArthur, feeling the Bonus March was a Communist attempt to overthrow the U.S. government, ignored the President and ordered a new attack. Fifty-five veterans were injured and 135 arrested.[10] A veteran's wife miscarried. When 12-week-old Bernard Myers died in the hospital after being caught in the tear gas attack, a government investigation reported he died of enteritis, while a hospital spokesman said the tear gas "didn't do it any good."[14]

During the military operation, Major Dwight D. Eisenhower, later President of the United States, served as one of MacArthur's junior aides.[15] Believing it wrong for the Army's highest-ranking officer to lead an action against fellow American war veterans, he strongly advised MacArthur against taking any public role: "I told that dumb son-of-a-***** not to go down there," he said later. "I told him it was no place for the Chief of Staff."[16] Despite his misgivings, Eisenhower later wrote the Army's official incident report which endorsed MacArthur's conduct.[17]

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Because many Americans who know about 1989 where not alive today in 1932. If they were they would be 80+ years at least old plus it is not in todays modern thoughts, than some thing that happen like, even I barely know about 1989 because I was so young.

It maybe well be a case of ignoring history but it works both ways, like when Chinese people blame the USA for wars and battles in the modern era, China caused wars, had mass battles, invaded other countries or force them to do there bidding well before the the USA did.

Its the same with Japan and the Sino-Japanese wars, however, people tend to forget that the "Chinese" Yuan dynasty was the first foreign country to invade Japan. Not to mention that Asians in the form of the Mongol Empire where raging war half way across the globe into the four corners of the known world well before Europeans did....

• 9 years ago

I have to admit that I never heard of the event you brought up. However, I could easily obtain information about it via the internet.

Most Americans are more informed about recent history. Ask any American about the events of the 1960s and afterward and you'll find that they have a general idea. Kent State? Vietnam War? Hippy Protests? Civil Rights? Occupy Movement? Even now, Americans are in hot debate about the death of a black teenager at the hands of a neighborhood watch leader.

How many students in China can access non-controlled information about the events of 1989? How many can obtain accurate information about the number of people who died? How many families were able to bury their dead? How many families were told where their children were? (Many are still unaccounted for.)

How many people truly know what's happening in China? When a "mass event" happens, the first response of the Chinese government is to block cell towers and shut down the internet. Information control is the first matter of concern. Why is that?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

because the tianamen incident is more recent and because the american propaganda media always show it.

how many people have died as the result of american interference in foreign country? i guess no one in the US know that? but they support the fake hysteric kony 2012 campaign without looking at the fact on the ground.

american sees american interference as good thing even blocking palestinian right to join the UN is a merit and america is the good guy. but when foreign government try to crush a rebellion is against human rights (actually against american rights and interest there)

and why make the shooting of 2 veterans a big deal? most of the american soldier commit crimes during their deployment and when they are home they commit even more crimes

• guffey
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

I stay in Canada, yet have lived interior the states for twenty-four years. shifting returned to Canada a pair years in the past, I see the adaptation. Canadians are so passive, they are like sheep. individuals who're searching for the innovative part of issues are like Canadians. whats up guy, its ok, do what you like, savour your self. something is going, yet please freshen up after your self. Yea appropriate!!! wager what, that's bull sh!!t. accountability isn't born, that's MADE. It will not be able to be deleted after that's MADE. it may basically be transferred. human beings are going around constantly shifting accountability to others, that's a virus. American values must be transferred from one to a different, they don't seem to be assumed. they are REQUIRED! otherwise all of us will lose interior the long-term.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Of course Americans know about it because unlike in China, America's textbooks teach both the good and the bad. And the president of the U.S. rectified the situation, but in China the president orchestrated the massacre, and China continues to suppress information about the slaughter.

Thank you for pointing out the differences between America's and China's handling of the two incidents. The world is still waiting for China to admit its wrongdoing and to include a factual accounting in its textbooks.

• 9 years ago

I wanted to ask this question one time, long ago but I thought it would be to complicated for most people to understand. Ken showed me I was correct. People in China or the troll type mentality have no comprehension of how much different these two actions were.

1. People like Ken never understand how times used to compared to now in our lifetime. I watched the students in China live on color TV here in the US. The Bonus Army was before my fathers time. My grandparents could have watched it other than it was before TV. So there was no TV, not even black and white TV. Do you or the people like Ken even remember black and white TV? That was a long time ago but the Bonus Army was before they even had black and white TV. This was a long time ago as I am 62 years old.

2. As you implied, the US Army was involved. The differences though were the US Army killed nobody where the Chinese Army killed thousands of young students. There are pictures of the Chinese dead and the hurt being drug away. The two men killed by the police were buried in Arlington, this is a great honor for a man to be buried there. There is nothing I know of in China comparable.

3. Another thing the people like Ken may never grasp, the US did not then nor have they ever tried to cover up this action. The CCP on the other hand tried to cover it up before they ever committed their troops. They closed off the area to any and all press coverage and the only pictures were from the people who were taking big chances that they may get caught and could have been killed or jailed just for telling the truth. The CCP has tried to deny this for the past 25 years, the US NEVER denied or tried to cover up their actions.

4. Another big difference was why the two different groups were there to protest. The Bonus Army was after the money they were to be paid. The Chinese students were after FREEDOM from tyranny.

5. Another big difference was the world at that time was trying to pull out of "The Great Depression". This was something the CCP would not know of because it would be another 17 years before the PRC would be formed.

6. President Hoover ordered the Army to move these Bonus Army people out, this cost him the election. He lost to Roosevelt in a landslide election. The CCP used their forces to garner more power from the people. Refusing to give the students any freedoms. Also threatening the use of more force if needed.

7. The Us Congress past a law and President Roosevelt signed it saying the US Army could NEVER be used against the People of the US. The CCP let their people know at this time nobody but the CCP could have any say in the direction China took.

8. In 1936 the US congress and the President past the bill paying these Bonus Army personal the money owed to them. The CCP never paid for anything. They did not even return many of the bodies to the families for proper burial.

Now I would say any person with any brains could see many differences in these two actions. Neither action was the correct way to handle the situation, but the government in the US learned from theirs and tried to make the correct changes. The CCP on the other hand tried to cover their action up and has never admitted to these murders. As you can also see and you have showed others this, the US never covered up their actions, you found this easily. The CCP on the other hand denies they did the things they were caught on film doing. How stupid can anbody government be to deny something on film? But there are people like the one here who still denies these actions, because he was told they did not happen. Maybe he is to lazy to look at the evidence himself, or maybe he has other problems. 1980, yes he has major problems.

Again, I thank you for asking this question. I have wanted to compare the two.

Source(s): AG
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Americans always opt to disregard & ignore history when it comes to their misdoings / massacres.

An incident in Haditha,Iraq on November 19, 2005 involved a soldier (Staff Sgt. Frank Wuterich) with his team that killed 24 civilians and didn't even have to go jail for their crimes. These 24 civilians consisted of seven children, a toddler, three women and a 76-year-old man in a wheelchair.

20 innocent children & women lynched in Kandahar, Afghanistan last week by an insane US soldier {that's the plea he will adopt if and when he is ever tried} Take another example of a massacre by the Americans. William Laws Calley is a convicted American war criminal and a former U.S. Army officer found guilty of murdering 350 to 500 civilians for his role in the My Lai Massacre on March 16, 1968, during the Vietnam War and was put on house arrest for a little over 3 years and released.

How many Americans know or talk about these crimes ? مرگ بر آمریکا

• ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Because it is convenient to ignore certain things regarding history for ones own insterests and it exerts a certain double standard. Of do what I say and not what I do.

For example consider Iran, go back to 1953 and the US overthrew the democratically elected government.

Or hell South Korea had a US military backed government in the 1980s.In May 1980 the government massacred, yes massacred Gwangju 600-1200 people died after tanks were sent in. Immediately after 40,000-60,000 people were arrested and put in death camps. Where people were worked to death. They stopped counting after the first 50 deaths.

• 9 years ago

Oh no we know. I can attest to the fact that they teach it in our textbooks.

Source(s): Had a test that included that piece of information some time ago. (Less than a year)
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.