My cat cannot stop shedding? HELP!?

My cat is an incessant shedder. He not only sheds his winter coat in the summer, like normal cats, but he sheds nonstop all-year round. In the winter, he sheds as much as a normal cat does in the summer. He sheds all winter long like that. In the summer, he sheds worse. So much hair comes off of him, it seems as if he'll be hairless before long. Yesterday my sister and I brushed him twice and we got the equivalent of two baseball-sized balls of hair. He cannot stop. Pick him up and you'll look like a cat. You'll be absolutely covered head-to-toe with black cat hair. It is awful. He is a shorthair cat but he loses enough hair to cover two longhairs. He is not bald or patchy, he looks just fine and acts just fine. My guess is the grain in the cat food. It has caused him problems before, but we switched him to a better cat food with lower grain content and the problem ceased. Now it's back and worse! What's going on? This is NOT your average summer-shedder.

Lisa Morgan, I've already stated that he sheds EXCESSIVELY. He is an outdoor cat and they shed mainly in the summer. Go look up the definition of EXCESSIVE and then see if you can help me.

Kathleen, I have had dozens of cats throughout the years and no cat has rivaled this one in terms of shedding. This cat has shed more in a year than all of the others did in their whole lives. This is completely abnormal and my guess is, a reaction.

Rachel M, the vet gave him a clean bill of health not too long ago. The shedding has since intensified. There has been no change in diet (for a long time) or circumstances (never). He must be having a reaction or something. Can someone give me their opinion on the best grain free or starch free cat food? I need to know a good brand for a low price.

I also forgot to add, he is only two. Again, food recommendations are needed.

Favorite Answer

Shedding is always a problem to one extent or another. If you aren't already brushing your cat, I would recommend you brush him as often as you can; daily or at least several times per week. You didn't say what you are feeding your cat, but I would suggest you feed Nutro Natural Choice. It's a great food that I feed all four of my cats. It's a higher protein lower carb food that does not contain any chicken by-products, ground corn or any artificial colors or flavors. Nutro also guarantees you will see improvement in your cat's skin and coat or your money back. Natural Choice has omega 3 and 6 oils combined with vitamins, minerals and zinc for beautiful skin and fur. I'm a pet nutrition specialist with Nutro and have been feeding it for over 25 years and it's always worked great for my furry kids. Here's a link to learn more about it and read some reviews. http://www.nutro.com/natural-cat-food/natural-choi... Good luck and hope this helps.

I've also found that feeding both dry and wet food can help improve the health of your cat.

Mix It Up For Better Cat Health http://www.nutro.com/pet-center/mixing-wet-and-dry...

Some cat owners swear by wet food. Others insist dry is best. And according to the WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition, both sides have merit. In fact, WALTHAM® research shows that mixing wet and dry cat food together benefits your cat in more ways than one.

Benefits of Mixed Feeding

Improved Urinary Tract Health — When you feed your cat a diet of dry kibble mixed with a high moisture, wet food, it increases your cat’s water intake resulting in more urine production. The higher water volume dilutes the urine while increasing the frequency of urination — both of which help prevent the formation of mineral crystals or urinary stones.

Better Weight Management — WALTHAM® studies have shown cats that are fed a high moisture diet eat less, gain less weight per calorie eaten and have increased activity levels compared with cats fed only a dry food diet. What’s more, owners tend to better control the size of their cat’s meal portions when part of the diet contains wet food.

Healthy Metabolism — With more real meat and fewer carbohydrates, wet food provides a healthy balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates that satisfies a cat’s instinctive feeding behavior and helps maintain a healthy metabolism.

Enhanced Eating Enjoyment — When given a choice, cats prefer to eat a mixture of both wet and dry foods. Wet food is shown to increase enjoyment whereas dry food satisfies her desire to eat many small meals throughout the day.

Improved Oral Health — The crunchy texture of dry food helps keep teeth clean by scraping away plaque and tartar.

Recommended Mixed Feeding Program

While each cat is different, WALTHAM® studies have shown that a mixed feeding program is beneficial for both weight management and urinary tract health. For weight management, at least 1/3 of the total daily food intake should be wet food. If urinary tract health is the goal, then wet food should make up a least 3/4 of the daily volume.

Source(s): pet nutrition specialist owner of four cats (or do they own me) nutro.com

Cats shed more as they get older. Also, shedding too much can be a sign of stress or fear. Like, if something changed in his life or you getting someone new in YOUR life or anyone who lives with you, could make him fearful or stressful because maybe he doesn't like the change. Shedding too much can also be a sign of illness. If there has been no changes in your life, and you don't think it's the food anymore, you should definitely take him to the vet just to check it out, and tell your vet everything. Also, of course, some breeds of cats just shed more than others, and you said he has black hair so it would be more noticeable...but, if you're sure that's not it, if you're sure he's shedding way too much for that to be it, I'd suggest you take him to the vet.

Source(s): Life-time cat-owner and lover
  • ?

This is not abnormal at all.

Brush your cat daily. Make sure he eats a premium cat food (mine are on grain free food, just because it's a better quality food). They both shed like maniacs regardless. We can get entire garbage bags of fur off them during shedding season and massive balls of fur off them when it's not.

Cats need constant brushing and combing. They *do* shed all year round. They also shed seasonally. If your cat goes outside on a regular basis, he'll shed more. If he's stressed, he'll shed way more.

We have two cats and two dogs. We are up to our necks in fur in spite of constant vacuuming with a Dyson pet hair vacuum. I even have a cleaning lady in every two weeks and we are still covered in hair everywhere.

If you're still very concerned, see your vet.

And your problem is?

Cats shed.

Every day of the year.

There's nothing you can do about it.

If you think it's the low quality food, switch it and see what happens.

If nothing happens, you know this is just how he is, and you'll have to accept it.

Source(s): 4 cats