Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 8 years ago

my mosin is shooting high,,, smith-sights or mojo or,,,,?

hi

i just got a mosin and its shooting a foot hi. saw smith-sights (smith-sights.com) and mojo sights.com can fix this. also saw ebay someone makes tall sight pins. help?

Favorite Answer

Try a round with a heavier bullet and/or less muzzle velocity; 7.62x54r.net is your friend.

Adjusting the rear sight would probably be an idea, too; IIRC, they start out set to around 100 arshins (or metres, in the later models) and if the slider got bumped, it could be set to a longer range.

That guy who mentioned the bayonet has a point, too; the carbines with the spring loaded bayonets were sighted in with them extended, and I believe the 91/30s were meant to have the bayonet fixed at all times. Apparently removing it throws the sights off, but that's just what I've heard.

Could be flinching, as well; try getting a friend to load the magazine with a mix of live rounds and empty cases; that should help you figure out if it's flinch or something with the rifle.

Mosins are infamous for hitting high (mine hits 2 feet high at 100). You can ghettofix the front sight by flattening the ring out, and extending the bar with bondo, or go for a full sight switchout. It's up to you. There's also a bit of evidence that Mosins shoot better with the bayonet ATTACHED, but that's something I haven't tested.

Good valid points by all, but what about ammunition? Some surplus stuff burns hotter some burns slower, some not at all. Try to avoid the corrosive stuff. Winchester, and I think Remington makes the 7.62x54R hunting cartridges. Wolf, in my experience, can be hit and miss on quality, as well as on paper.

You might want to take it to a competent gunsmith as well, most can tell you what is wrong by looking at it and shooting it a few times. Might save a lot of time and money as well.

Quit Flinching.

• august

Do you have an M44? If so, does it still have the bayonet attached?

And have you tried adjusting the rear sight?