Ashlee
Ashlee asked in SportsHorse Racing · 9 years ago

Does Union Rags have what it takes to win the Florida Derby on March 31st?

Just visited horse racing nation, and he seems to be rated pretty highly. I haven't been able to follow racing as much lately as i would like because of being busy. So i've kinda lost track of contenders for the Florida Derby.

Favorite Answer

Horse Racing Nation..Great site..!

Yes, Union Rags is definitely an impressive 3 year old, and should be the deserving Favorite in the Gr 1 Florida Derby,.. he's the real deal! Union Rags has been one of my favorites since the 106th running of the $150,000 Saratoga Special last summer for 2-year-olds, Union Rags even then extended his advantage inside the final sixteenth, ultimately negotiating 6 1/2 furlongs in 1:18 1/5 and that was on a sloppy track! Union Rags has great bloodlines ( Dixie Union - Tempo by Gone West) and so far looks powerful enough to be a dangerous contender in the Kentucky Derby. Without a doubt Michael Matz has a great horse here. Michael Matz is a trainer with top notch integrity.

Here's Union Rags Facebook link - I think you'll really enjoy it !

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Union-Rags/273744469...

:)

I'm with Sandra. UR is my sentimental favorite for all the races this year, because I think he's going to be the horse to beat. I'm a huge fan of his trainer, too- I've watching Matz and following his career for over 35 years now, since I was 12, in fact. I can clearly remember the first time I ever saw him ride- at the 1976 Montreal Olympics. At that time, nobody outside of a few people in the sport of show jumping had any idea who he was- and even among the few who did know, he was just considered to be one more promising young athlete in a whole string of them. I have so many other memories connected to him too- and if you ask me, I think that history is about to repeat itself, only this time with a much happier ending for all involved. We can dream and hope, can't we? Go Union Rags !!

Source(s): I'm a horse owner/professional and a long time follower of racing and all other horse sports.

Union Rags has what it takes to win it all! My pick to win the Florida Derby and every other race he is in.

• JSC

Yes, without a doubt..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!