Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 9 years ago

U.S. Marshals Questions.?

Can I join the us marshals with only military experience, or do I need a bachelor's degree with that?

Can I choose to be in the fugitive task force, and if I do join this division do I have to work my way up to see some action?

And can I quit anytime?

Favorite Answer

To become a Deputy US Marshal, you must possess a four-year bachelor's degree, or three years of qualifying experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. “Qualifying experience” includes experience in law enforcement; teaching, counseling or classroom instruction; or sales. It also may include work involving the correctional treatment and supervision of criminal offenders in correctional institutions; certain interviewing experience in a public or private service agency; work involving contacts with the public for the purpose of gathering information, such as credit rating investigator, claims adjuster, journalist, etc.; or other experience that has demonstrated the ability to take charge and make decisions, such as civilian/military supervisory, managerial or leadership responsibility.

Having military experience will do, but you won't be very competitive without a degree. Special forces experience is a big plus.

Some DUSM will go there whole career basicly doing Prisoner Transport and Court Security. Depending on the quality of your work and the connections you make you may wind up in warrants and special teams as a permanent assignment. It all depends. Some offices just have it set as a rotational assignment. The real bread and butter of the USM's is courtroom security and prisoner transport. Yes you can resign at any time.

• ?

Just like in the military, the "cream rises to the top". The top is the jobs like fugitive task force...When they get older, they take over duties such as "Con-Air", instead of getting old guarding a court house. The regular guys transport prisoners from jail to jail. They basically are fancy van drivers. No drama. It can be a great job, or a horrible job.