will my power supply hold out?

I have an old 500 watt coolmax power supply that has been running an old pentium 4 cpu and 32 mb gpu for the last 6 years. last week i decided i wanted an upgrade and upgrade i did: Athlon x3 3.2ghz unlocked to phenom x4 B50, 4gb gskill RAM, asus core unlock mATX motherboard, and a sapphire 6850. Now after hooking all this up and playing BF:BC2 for about an hour (BTW playing at 60fps is a revelation!) the computer froze and rebooted. I went over and smelled that horrible ozone burning smell. I shut everything down and found it was coming from the power supply. Since then I have under volted the 6850 to .95 (Down from 1.3) and ran stress tests for hours, no freezing, rebooting and the only way i can smell anything is to put my nose right up to the power supply vent. (whereas before i could smell it from halfway across the room) I know i am going to need a new one but my question is will it hold up untill next friday when i get paid or should I leave it off to avoid running the risk of it failing and taking the MOBO with it?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • C-Man
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You're probably ok for now since it's passed the stress tests after your under volting. It will almost certainly be fine for non-gaming use, kicking into full 3D mode is what really ramps up power consumption.

    Bear in mind that Coolmax is a very low quality psu brand.

    I recommend a quality 500-600W psu like Corsair, Antec, OCZ, XFX or Silverstone. At the absolute minimum Cooler Master, which is middle of the road as far as psus go.

    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Run it at low demand, until you can replace the power supply.

    The magic smoke will come out in fewer minutes the next time you run at full speed, and may not come back up.

    I have never had a power supply take out another subsystem. I have had 1x PCIe slots damage the traces on the motherboard and power supply, as an ill-formed card shorted the power supply out. I have had six failed power supplies in my fleet of PCs over the years.

    But you risk not just the motherboard, but the CPU, the RAM, the graphics card, and any drives as well... if the power supply fails... voltage high.

    The best power supply is the one that puts out enough current on the various buses. I'd never get anything less than 600w these days, for the equipment list you have supplied here. C-Man has made good power supply recommendations.

    I'd also make sure you have a 90mm or 120mm case fan moving air through the interior of the case, so that everything is not dependent on the PSU fan. I've seen CPUs that were ducted to the outside of the case, and that can work as well.

  • 9 years ago

    The best answer is to turn it off and wait but if you choose to use it just make sure you you use it for an hour or so then give it a rest for 20 or 30 minutes by shutting it off the only real danger is to the power supply its self unless you let it heat up and affect your mobo with heat.

  • 9 years ago

    i dont think so but if i were you i wouldn't run it, and i recommend this power supply it has a life time warranty and has lasted my friend 4 years and counting with no problems at all and he has a 6850 like you but has a quad core and 12 gb of ram

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    I would get a new power supply, one that has more power.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Your mom holds out.....for me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.