Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

Did Harriet Tubman kill slaves?

Didn't Harriet Tubman use to kill the slaves that wanted to go back to the south? Like if they were walking in the underground railroad and someone wanted to go back wouldn't she kill them, to protect everybody else. So no slaves would give up the others? When I was in 10th grade my teacher said she did, my husband is telling me now that's a lie.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Laredo
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Harriet Tubman carried a gun only to threaten and encourage slaves who became too frightened, she never used her gun on any one. She was once asked if she really would have shot an escaped slave and her reply - "Yes, if he was weak enough to give out, he'd be weak enough to betray us all and anyone who had helped us, and do you think I'd let so many die just for one coward man?"

You can see why she carried a gun and threatened an escaped slave, if the slave was captured and given back to his master then he would have been beaten or worse into giving information about the underground railway.

• Trabis3 years agoReport

Imagine the most crafty low life person that you probably can. Now imagine how you might be confronted by such a person, and anything said could get YOU and EVERYONE ELSE KILLED. All things considered, sometimes any mission goes bad. Harriet Tubman lived to tell about it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Harriet Tubman Wanted

• 3 years ago

Harriet Tubman Husband

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Did Harriet Tubman kill slaves?

Didn't Harriet Tubman use to kill the slaves that wanted to go back to the south? Like if they were walking in the underground railroad and someone wanted to go back wouldn't she kill them, to protect everybody else. So no slaves would give up the others? When I was in 10th grade my teacher...

Source(s): harriet tubman kill slaves: https://biturl.im/OVFkH
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tammie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Everyone, please read your Bible or at least watch "The Ten Commandments". The only people going to Hell from slavery times is the salvemasters who beat/killed slaves, broke up families, raped slave women and twisted the words in Bible to justify slavery. God is a just God and will probably do to the slavemasters what he did to the Egyptians who mercilessly enslaved the Jews. To think that any ill will become of Harriet Tubman's soul, also means that the hundreds of white abolitionists who helped on the underground railroad will go to hell too......

• 8 years ago

Your husband is telling you that your teacher didn't tell you that stuff about Harriet killing slaves? That's terrible.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It's known that she threatened backsliders with her pistol. After all, such a person could expose the entire operation. However, I haven't heard of her actually carrying out the threat. It could be in her autobiography.

Source(s): Old hippie
  • 5 years ago

come on, how long can one black person really keep silent for, maybe a while if there isnt any other ones around.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.