Why have trees high velocity speed?

Update:

I mean why do the sounds have a high speed in wood..:)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Clearly the other answerer has never camped out under the trees.

As the winds blow through the tops of trees, it sets the tinier branches into vibrating. That's like what happens when we play the clarinet or oboe. We blow over the wooden reeds of those instruments to get them to vibrate.

Because they are the smaller branches, they have a higher pitch. The larger branches don't vibrate as the winds are typically not strong enough to get them to move. So all you hear are the small ones and their higher frequencies. And if the winds were strong enough to move the larger branches, I suggest the wind noise itself would overshadow any sound the trees might make at that point.

The smaller branches have the higher frequencies for the same reason (the physics) that the smaller, shorter strings in a piano make up the higher notes. And the longer, larger strings give us the lower notes, like the larger branches would if they were set into vibrating. In fact we can say that the frequency F of the tree top branches varies inversely with the length L of the branches; so, in math talk, that's F ~ 1/L. It also varies inversely with the mass (bulk) of the branches as well.

I find the music from the tree tops very soothing at night.

• 9 years ago

Velocity and speed are related, in that speed is the magnitude of the vector velocity.

But "velocity speed" is a meaningless term.

And trees don't have zero speed or velocity relative to the ground, except perhaps during a tornado or hurricane.

• 9 years ago

The answer above explains it right.

• 9 years ago

question not clear

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.