Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 9 years ago

Israel: Do you guys date...?

Do Israelis date arabs and vica verca? do you have any firsthand/secondhand experiance?

Just curious, because i heard about two jewish men who are apparently married to muslim Arab women.. I'm not sure how that happened bu it's real.

What do you think.

@Michael.. Woah never knew that.

@Shay.. I'm Muslim.. and honor killings only happen when the parents are psychopaths.. the only time I've heard of honor killings is from the media, I know some Muslim girls who ran off with either muslim or nonmuslim guys... their parents are upset but no one's dead...

• Shay p
    Favorite Answer

It's mostly Arab men that date Israeli women, if an Muslim woman dated an Israeli man her family would do away with her.. They call it family honor killing.

As for a couple of mixed religion getting married in Israel !!??

Civil marriage does not exist in Israel, and the only institutionalized form of Jewish marriage is the religious one, i.e. a marriage conducted under the auspices of the rabbinate. Specifically, marriage of Israeli Jews must be conducted according to halakha, as viewed by Orthodox Judaism. One consequence is that Jews in Israel who cannot marry according to Jewish law (e.g. a kohen and a divorcée, or a Jew and one who is not halachically Jewish) cannot marry at all. This has led for calls, mostly from the secular segment of the Israeli public, for the institution of civil marriage. Many people are affected by the restrictions. In Israel in the early twenty first century there are approximately "300,000 Israelis who cannot marry because one of the partners is not Jewish, or his or her Jewishness cannot be established."

Some secular Israelis travel abroad to have civil marriages, either because they do not wish an Orthodox wedding or because their union cannot be sanctioned by halakha, THESE MARRIAGES ARE RECORDED BY THE MINISTRY OF INTERIOR AND THE "MIXED" COUPLE GETS ALL BENEFITS, though not recognized by the rabbinate as Jewish.

All legal marriages performed in Israel must be carried out by religious authorities of an approved religion. Couples of different religions, or none, cannot legally marry in Israel, whether citizens or not.

You might want to read this

http://www.stophonourkillings.com/?q=taxonomy/term...

I respect the fact you are Muslim BUT let me tell you this, during my 20+ years on the Israeli police force I investigated MANY Arab killings involving honor, the reason was "a forbiden relationship with a male"

You might want to read this

http://www.meforum.org/2646/worldwide-trends-in-ho...

@Michael is way out of context of reality. He has about 8 accounts & spends his days in YA posting nasty stuff about Israel.

It's not illegal. They just didn't have civil marriage laws till recently, so you'd have to find an Imam or Rabbi to do it, which didn't happen because both were overseen officially by conservative respective religious oversight bodies. So you could marry outside the country & it'd be recognized on re-entry. It has nothing to do with apartheid, since the law was the same for every Israeli citizen. He owes an apology for that emotionally charged bit of lie.

-------------------------

To asker - yes, there are inter-religious marriages in Israel between Muslims & Jews ... and others too. The results are mixed. Some live in areas where it works out well, others find it hard to fit in. When people live and work together - they will meet and some will fall in love and marry.

On Shay's comment, when Jewish women marry Muslim men, they move into the culture. There have been upsets about the lesser respect & freedom and basically hasn't gone well in a few instances. It appears to be purposeful by fringe nuts, but a real risk. The woman should make sure she's marrying into a respectable family & husband. By contrast an Muslim women will be part of the community and already know that person is a nut and not an upstanding Muslim. That's what I've heard wind of a few times, but I can't vouch for it.

Where are you living - that makes a difference with honor killings (which for any other reader - are not a part of Islam itself). Even where cultural used at all, it's only in subpocketed areas. Though I agree, parents would always have to be psychopaths & it's always a minority small thing anywhere, not the general rule of thumb the media paints. However, quite a few of the Pali Arab women suicide bombers turned out to be candidates for honor killings, and chose this instead to save honor. That's something that can be looked up and verified.

@Dandan

that's bull. If the Rabbinate didn't marry them, then Imams could. So you're bashing at Jews, without a leg. That bit about Jews & racism is straight out of the Nazi playbook. It's that grossly false & demented about Jews.

Yes, Israelis date Arabs and Arabs date Israelis. It isn't that common, but it isn't unheard of.

For starters, Israelis CAN be Arab. Most people overlook that, and in the case where they are both then it's obviously commonplace. But, if you solely meant Israeli Jews, as many people do, then the answer is still yes.

In terms of different religious dating, it's fine until you get to marriage, where it's slightly more difficult. If you are of two different faiths, then you have to go abroad to do so. That's because you have to marry within the confines of a religious institution, and the ones that recognize intermarriages are usually not recognized as certified places. It's a stupid law, really supported and kept in place by the religious lobbying from Israel's more religious members of all faiths. Some allege this is "apartheid"; though, it's equally enforced by the other end, as well (at the very least socially) and it's not making many other nations that have similar laws apartheid either.

I'd expect it to be gone within a few years, anyway. But, that has NO bearing on dating, especially with the options afforded to Israelis like civil unions and abroad options.

Though, Israel is ironically much more advanced in terms of other areas. Civil marriage isn't legal but civil unions are. In addition, Israel will recognize ANY marriage done abroad. ANY meaning ANY - interfaith like this case, but also same-sex. So, it's even freer for Arabs and Israelis in that sense too.

I personally have no firsthand experience. I'm not Israeli, though - I'm American.

Would I date an arab? Yes.

Would I marry one? Never.

Michael is wrong.

And for your question, yes we do. I dated an Arab.

We met in MDA (Magen David Adom which is volunteering in an ambulance, we are both Certified first responder). We 'clicked' since we first met, it was great. Sadly it didn't work out because we live far from each other... \: He was my first boyfriend, and I don't regret it one bit :D

• Feivel

You can date but you cannot marry in Israel. It does not happen often but sometimes people go overseas to get married.

I would not date or marry a muslim and suspect few muslims would date or marry a Jew.

I would date a Jewish girl.

Inter-religious/interfaith relationship are not that common in Israel though they happen. They mostly do not end with marriage as the religious authority for Jewish marriages performed in Israel - which is the Chief Rabbinate of Israel and the Rabbinical courts- do not authorize such marriages.

Keep in mind that most Israelis are racist by culture and that they believe they are holy (chosen by God)

For an Israel Jew to marry a Muslim girl they would have to go abroad as its illegal in Israel. Another example of Israeli apartheid. Its also doubtful if they both could return and live together in Israel as man and wife and yet Israel wants peace and security with the Arabs. Really ?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Nope