How do I become a Texas Ranger?

I want to get a degree in Criminal justice at UT Austin and go into law enforcement, and possibly become a Texas ranger. What are the requirements?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • J.W.
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You must meet the qualifications required for entry employment with the Texas Department of Public Safety. In addition, each applicant must be a citizen of the United States of America, in excellent physical condition, and have an outstanding record of at least eight (8) years experience with a bona fide law enforcement agency engaged principally in the investigation of major crimes. The applicant must be currently employed with the Texas Department of Public Safety in the position of a commissioned officer with the rank of at least Trooper II. Applicants must have a background subject to a thorough investigation, which would reflect good moral character and habits. Applicant must possess a valid Texas driver's license free of any restrictions that would compromise the applicant's ability to perform his duties. An entrance examination will be given, and selected applicants with the highest scoring grades will appear before an Oral Interview Board before final selection. At this time the basic requirements for employment as a DPS Trooper, which is the entry level for commissioned officers with DPS, are the applicant must be at least twenty (20) years of age and must have a minimum of ninety (90) semester hours from an accredited college. Thirty-six (36) months or more military or law enforcement experience may be substituted for required semester hours. Military police experience, however, does not count toward the eight (8) years experience required in order to be eligible to compete for the position of Texas Ranger. Best of luck!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Talk to the Navy recruiter at their office in Round Rock or South Austin - across the parking lot from Ashley Furniture at Slaughter/IH-35.

All military services train at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX.

Watch the Army Military Police (MP) video http://www.goarmy.com/army-videos.sch-Military%20P...

• 9 years ago

A degree is a great place to start. Also, Have you consider joining the military in the Reserves or National Guard? Having military experience is a great asset to have and can make you stand out over other applicants.

Here is a great website to start of at: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/TexasRangers/specialr...

Also, you can visit my blog, my blog address is located in the sources.

Source(s): Police Officer/Military Officer, author of www.HowCanIBeACop.com
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.