Is there a free OS that operates similar to Windows?

I want to download a free Operating System, but all the ones I find only let you do certain things unless you know how to tweak them, which I don't. I just want a new OS that lets me go on the internet like with Firefox, and play downloadable games and games and programs from discs, do iTunes, watch videos, and store music and stuff like Windows does, without having to tweak or do anything to them. I currently have Windows Vista and want to wipe the hard drive and start with a new OS. I also have a mini netbook that needs a new OS, but doesn't have a disc drive so I would need to be able to download it onto a flashdrive. I want something that's easy to use. I've heard a lot of people say Linux is better than Windows, but also have heard that it's more complicated and you have to know what you're doing. I know a little, but for the purpose of this, act like I know nothing. I want it plain and simple. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

No, (at least not anything that is ready to use (ReactOS))

Windows binaries and especially itunes will be problematic/hit and miss.

There are alternatives and tricks, it just takes some time to learn them. PlayonLinux or WineDoors are two frontends for WINE, which should really help you setup the windows binaries and keep them each with thier own tweaks, so you only have to set and forget once for each program that requires it (and not all of them do (though a few won't work with any number of tweaks))

My suggestion is try XUbuntu on the netbook, and just re-install Vista on your other computer. (You should be able to pull the OEM key from the installation, and use that to install fresh (without cost to you) This way you can enjoy both worlds. Linux is also quite a bit easier to install from a flash drive.

An operating system is a specific set of programs required to get a machine to start up and then run user programs. So if you want an OS to run windows written programs you need Windows. If you did not want to run actual Windows programs you could easily use Linux, Preferably Open Suse which a lot of my customers are using for everything now. But NONE of them uses any Windows programs.

i'd ask why you want a computer for college except status? once you should, bypass for the steadiness of Mac Os X, plus that is truly a extra sensible status image if that is the reason. As spoke of, Vista is new and could be not effortless for some time so in case you should make investments in a 13 3 hundred and sixty 5 days olds sex practise (the most likely use of a computer at that age) bypass for something slightly extra depended on.

There is no similar OS to windows. Microsoft has made it too diverse. Other OS's are Linux and unix derivatives. The only thing you can do is either make a Hackintosh, or install Ubuntu inside of windows.

No Real OS is free that I know of. (Except Linux)

You can download VirtualBox or VirtualPC to install an os in it using an iso.

Or use an online OS.

You can't do much but here they are.

Flyakite OSX - osx.portraitofakite.com/

Silverlight OS - www.silveos.com/

(You need MS Silverlight which is free)

MS Silverlight - www.silverlight.net

Source(s): Google

i would recommend Ubuntu, as it is simple and is a mobile operating system and has great graphics. i have used it on other laptops and just ordered the disk online, but you can download it to a flash drive or cd for free