How does Facebook's Restricted List work?

I understand that the restricted list generally keeps a specific person from viewing your status updates that are not public. But I have a question about if it is possible to override restricted status in the following ways:

Example, I associate with John Doe in the gym and do not want him to see my general updates to friends regarding where I am or what I am doing. So I add him to the restricted list. But I also have a list for Gym Friends for training discussions and I would like him to be a part of those discussions, so I add him to my Gym Friends list too. Now, when I post to my Gym Friends list, does John Doe see it or does he not? Which list plays trump? Also, will I still be able to message John Doe directly?

Favorite Answer

When you add someone to your Restricted list, they will only be able to see your Public content or posts of yours that you tag them in. So if you put your boss on your Restricted list, post a photo and choose Friends as the audience, your boss (and anyone else on Restricted) won’t see that photo. However, if you add a tag of your boss to the photo, we’ll let them know they’re in it. If someone else tries to tag your boss in one of your photos, you’ll get to approve this tag from your pending posts.

Source(s): Face Book Help Center