What are some good supreme court cases concerning Freedom of Speech?

Before you tell me that I'm being lazy, I'll tell you that I will also be looking for cases. It is always good to have more than one person when researching. So, what are some good Supreme court cases (Good as in they had lots of 'meat' or details and controversy, stuff like that) that dealed with the right to Freedom of Speech?

All legitimate help appreciated.

Update:

PS they must be recent.

Update 2:

@Wallace

Was that a supreme court case or an act? Could you please get the name of that supreme court case?

Thanks.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hustler Magazine v Falwell - defamation of public figures

Schenck v the United States - Fire in crowded theater

Texas v Johnsen - Flag Burning

All those are 70's-90's

citizens United v FEC - money as speech

Brown v Entertainment Merchants association - Video game age restriction laws

These are more recent (last four years or so)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The landmark case is Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaplinsky_v._New_Ham...

[There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting" words those which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality.]

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Respect for America's Fallen Hero Act signed by Dubya, which bans protests within 300 feet of a funeral

• The recent ruling about Westboro Baptist Church is a good one and very controversial if this is for school.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • vally
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Plessy vs....ruled that separate yet equivalent grew to become into equivalent...seems to be fake and it grew to become into overturned via Brown v Board of ed which ruled that separate yet equivalent is INHERENTLY unequal i will't remember the others, its been years...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.