MR T asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Does anyone know what this is about??? I need to know if I won. Please help?

Microsoft Promotion Award Team

20 Craven Park, Harlesden

London NW10

United Kingdom.

I Mr. David Moore, your Claim facilitator officer.

This is to formerly inform you that after the verification process conducted on your Microsoft Winners Prize Verification Form, I wish to inform you that the Administrative department has just approved and referred your claim file to our affiliate Courier company, so that your Prize Winning Certificate and Check/Cheque can be sent to you by postal mail but you shall bear the cost of courier delivery of your check/cheque and Prize Winning Certificate. This promotion was sponsored to encourage the use of the Internet in Africa Developing Nations but E-mail addresses all over the world were entered in the ballot.

Your USD$1,000,000.00 (One Million United States Dollars) check/cheque would be released to you in our West Africa Payment Office. Our Delivery Officer in the West Africa Payment Office would be delivering your check/cheque to you through DHL Courier to your respective city or location in your country.

He would need;

• Your Phone number:......

• Your Postal address for Verification:.......

• DHL Courier Delivery Fee of $ 290 US Dollars. ( Two Hundred and Ninety US Dollars).

Send the delivery fees through Western Union Money Transfer or MONEYGRAM, to my secretary Mr Malawy Oliver. Find below the details of the receiver:

Name: Mr. MALAWY OLIVER.

ADDRESS: 223, Dutse way, Wuse Zone 1,

Jos, Nigeria.

TEST QUESTION: White

ANSWER: Red.

Immediately the Payment is made, You are to forward the below payment information to me for verification which include:

1) Name and Address of sender

2) Amount sent

3) Money transfer control number (MTCN)

4) Location were money was sent from.

5) TEST QUESTION AND ANSWER:

This will enable us facilitate the release of your winning certificate and check/cheque. We congratulate you as one of the Microsoft award International On-line Sweepstakes Winners.

N.B: Your winning Award Certificate would be sent with your Check/Cheque. Hence, without the winning certificate presented at your local bank, you won't be able to claim the money and it might causes a lot of delay as this is a crossed check/cheque.

Note, it is not possible for me to deduct the DHL DELIVERY fee from your winning check/cheque because it has been issued and sent to me by the general overseer Mrs. Susan Lars, in conjunction with the A.B.N AMRO Bank financial. In this case, you are required to pay this fee to get your winning check/cheque as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Yours faithfully,

Mr David Moore.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

100% scam.

There is no lottery.

There is no Yahoo, Facebook, Nokia, Shell, BBC, Google, Coca-Cola, MSN, Microsoft, BMW or any other company in the entire world that sponsors a lottery that notifies winners via email, phone call or text.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "lottery official" and will demand you pay for made-up fees and taxes, in cash, and only by Western Union or moneygram.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "fake yahoo lottery", "lotto Western Union fraud" or something similar, you will find hundreds of posts of victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

• 9 years ago

It's a scam.

1: There is no Microsoft lottery.

2: How could you win a lottery you never entered?

3: Why would Microsoft UK pay lottery prize in US Dollars?

4: Why are you required to pay a fee to get your prize? (this is the scam bit bit.)

5: ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that even MENTIONS Nigeria is guaranteed to be a scam.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.