How do babies contract RSV?

My almost 9 month old baby girl's friend has RSV. They just found out yesterday. The last time we were at their house was on the 4th for her one year birthday party. Nobody held my daughter (I wouldn't let them because I didn't know anyone ). My daughter was in my arms or on my hip the entire 2 hours. Her daughter wasn't sick then, or at least didn't act or look like it. Are we safe now? My daughter hasn't been sick at all so I think we're good, just being paranoid I guess.

Thanks. The only people that asked to hold my daughter were less then 10 years old lol.

Favorite Answer

According to WebMD:

"Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a common and highly contagious virus that infects the respiratory tract of most children before their second birthday. For most babies and young children, the infection causes nothing more than a cold. But for a small percentage, infection with the RSV virus can lead to serious problems such as bronchiolitis, which is inflammation of the small airways of the lungs, or pneumonia, which can become life-threatening.

The risk of severe infection is greatest for:

Premature infants.

Children younger than 2 who were born with heart or lung disease.

Babies and young children whose immune systems are weakened due to illness or medical treatment."

So, first of all, it's normal for babies to get it (and it may help them build immunity). Second, most babies have only mild symptoms.

You can't prevent your baby from all colds, and it's probably not even desirable to do that. When they start school, whether that's preschool or kindergarten, they'll pick up germs from the other kids. Most kids have a series of colds that first year. Each time they have a cold, they build up immunity to that virus. If they don't get these things as children, they will hit them much harder when they are older. And I think you're being a little paranoid not letting anyone near your baby.