Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

what does this verse mean; the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls?

And tenement halls?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Mike B
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

@ Kidd Alex, you are wrong, the line is from the Simon and Garfunkel song The Sound of Silence.

The lyrics

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/simon-garfunkel/sounds-...

A youtube link to a black and white clip of S & G performing the song sometime in the sixties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZGWQauQOAQ

Youtube thumbnail

The above video link has a short explanation of the song as a whole at the beginning.

Paul Simon wrote the lyrics in 1964, it has been said that the lyrics where written in February 1964 in reaction to the killing of JFK, although like most brilliant songs the meaning of it is different for different people.

The final verse of the song has the following lines, including the quote in the question.

'And the people bowed and prayed

To the neon god they made

And the sign flashed out its warning

In the words that it was forming

And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls

And tenement halls"

And whispered in the sounds of silence'

Personally, it seems to me not to be religious, but a social commentary on the time, and probably more relevant today than ever, that we as people seem more preoccupied how a message is delivered than what the message says, and that we would do well to listen to the ordinary people, their fears, their hatreds, than to so called experts, the message that ordinary people send out is not articulated, but simple delivered as 'words of the prophets written on the subway walls', indicating the unhappiness and displeasure of ordinary people.

Ask me for my top five songs of all time, they will change with time, but this song has always been there since I first heard it as a small child.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what does this verse mean; the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls?

And tenement halls?

Source(s): verse words prophets written subway walls: https://shortly.im/Jh4Yp
  • 4 years ago

usually graffitied on the walls/doors of the toilets at Subways U know ring 555???? for a good time, lol but i don't eat at Subways, therefore i miss out on all the words of the prophets

• xie
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Tenement Halls

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Prophets will tell anyone who will listen, what they have to say. Maybe no one is listening..is that some of what graffiti is all about...the need to be listened to? If there is no one to tell it to then scream it on the walls where it might at least be read. We all have stuff inside us that needs to come out...it is screaming to come out, back in the sixties and here, right now.

• jason4 years agoReport

i dig that

• 8 years ago

Concert Halls.

• 8 years ago

That the prophet is not necessarily the magician who sparkles in satin and velvet whom you gaze at in splendour with eyes you've not used yet, but a mere mortal of humble means.

Source(s): Sounds of Silence is an epic tune that will persevere for many, many generations to come.
  • 4 years ago

"prophets" are everyone that lived and has something in his mind and heart and wrote it on "the subway walls" and "tenement halls". everyone. every man and woman and child.

This song speaks for everything you want to.

(sorry for my English :) )

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Some vandal with a spray can seeking self-justification? Dude, a lot of garbage is put up on walls which is in no way worthy of any respect or being characterized as profound, insightful or visionary.

• MacDelta4 years agoReport

then you're missing out on a lot of amazing urban art... so much of it is profound.

• 4 years ago

"Paul Simon wrote the lyrics in 1964"

Not true according to Paul. He wrote the song when he was 21. He used to sit in his bathroom with the lights off and faucet running because it helped him concentrate and "dream". Hence "Hello darkness my old friend, Ive come to talk with you again"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.