? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 years ago

Persuasive essay on retired Americans moving to Thailand? Help!?

For my AP English class, we were told to pick a demographic of Americans and then choose a country to persuade the demographic to move there. My demographic is retired people and I picked Thailand. I really need to get information on getting a visa to live there as well as other concerns such as the cost of living, etc. My main worry is the information on immigration. Please, it would be a HUGE help to provide a link. Thanks in advance!!

@SmellsLikeNewScreenNames way to be an asshole

Favorite Answer

I've been to Thailand many times.

Thailand has an excellent medical system that foreigners can access for a fraction of the cost of treatment in the first-world.

You get a retirement visa and renew it each year that you live there.

REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A NON-IMMIGRANT "O-A" RETIREMENT VISA:

--- 50 years old of age or older

--- Passport (at least 1 year remaining until expiration)

--- Holding the nationality or permanent residence of country of application

--- Proof of meeting financial requirement *

--- Bank letter showing funds or pension statement

STEP 2 : ONE-YEAR RETIREMENT VISA IN THAILAND REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:

Passport - copies of every page. Each copy must be signed by applicant.

--- Non-Immigrant Visa

--- Departure Card TM.6

--- Thailand Bank book (original)

--- Letter from your Thai Bank

--- Medical Certificate (health exam administered by doctor at first class hospital)

Photos, three (3) in quantity which are 4 x 5 centimeters in size (not passport photos) with full face and taken wearing business attire (no hat and some jurisdictions require suit and tie). Must have been taken within six (6) months.

* FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT:

BANK ACCOUNT SHOWING THB 800,000

MONTHLY INCOME OF AT LEAST THB 65,000

COMBINATION (BANK ACCOUNT + INCOME x 12 = THB 800,000)

SIGNING FOR YOUR NEW RETIREMENT VISA

Your Thailand retirement starts with your first and only appearance for the retirement visa at the Immigration office upon its approval. You must appear in person with your passport and sign the visa paperwork in the presence of the Immigration staff. The Immigrant staff puts a stamp in the passport at the time of approval.

RESTRICTIONS ON YOUR RETIREMENT VISA

The retirement once approved allows you to stay in Thailand for one year. You are not allowed to have employment while on this type of visa. Also you must report to Immigration every 90 days to verify your current address. Please ensure that you obtain a Re Entry Permit at Thai Immigration prior to leaving Thailand for any period of time.

Interesting choice given Thailand's reputation as a sex tourism destination.

I'll also point out that no country with a third world medical system is attractive to retiring seniors. You'll find that many people who retire to a third world country do so early and/or plan on relying on the medical care at US army bases.