Is college worth the debt?

With the debt that one accumulates, is college "ultimately" worth it?

• Bunny
    Favorite Answer

Yes and no. Education can never be taken from you, nor can the "college experience" in the path of life.

That said, it depends on what you major in and what your ultimate goal is. If its a job to make a career, take a practical major like engineering or accounting or nursing that leads to directly applicable job skills.

If your intent is to be a teacher...well "worth it" would be defined by your values. If you're okay with low pay for the opportunity to make a difference in childrens lives, then yea it's worth it. It'll take longer to pay off your sschool debt.

Majoring in a language, English, French, or Social Science, Music, History, Visual art...you'll have to be more creative applying your experiences to a career. You'll always have your degree, that's an accomplishment in itself. Whether it translate into $$ later in life depends on how you use your knowledge.

• John

I've hired hundreds of people, some with and some without degrees, and unless they were hired to fill one type of position, it didn't seem to really matter.

One fact you need to know about college today is: be careful of what course of study you select.

Study the jobs that are projected to be in demand when you achieve your degree. Also, study what is being offered by the trade schools.

I follow Yahoo every day, looking for what is going to be a popular profession in 3, 4, 5 and 8 years down the road. With grandchildren and great grand children who are growing up and will be entering the workplace or going on to a higher education, knowing what is projected is a valuable resource for me to use to help guide them to success.

I live across from a state university and I am very sad at what I see happening to most of these students, but what can I do?

A college is a way for the governing body to earn from the tuition paid by students, but I have noticed that the college system where I live doesn't care whether the student succeeds in the 'real' world, just whether they get theirs.

What I would first recommend is that a person who is looking at college should check into other, non degree type programs to see if they like what they experience during training.. Also, aside from Labs, a great many types of programs can be taken directly off your computer.

Hands on training is best unless you are looking at a more cerebral type of endeavor like finance or law.

But law I would stay away from. If you've been paying attention you've seen where many law grads, can't find a job, let alone pay back their student loans.

Before you buy an education, Caveat emptor. Make sure you know what you are buying. Regardless of who is paying the bill.

Source(s): In business since 1966. 2 children with doctorates and one son, a high school grad, who makes more than any of the other 5 shoeing race horses.
  • D J

Depends on the amount of debt, You can actually earn a college degree with borrowing money. Scholarships or go to school part-time while you work a job. I earned 2 degrees in 7 years & never borrowed a dime. Started at a junior college & finished at a 4 years school. It can be done, if you want it bad enough.

Going into some debt for a high paying career like, doctor, engineer or pharmacist would be a smarter move than borrowing thousands on a degree in Gender Studies or Art History.

College may not be worth the debt depending on what degree you end up with. A culinary degree is simply ridiculous when you can learn from a chef in a restaurant. However, high price careers are dependent on a degree. Teaching is a wonderful career with summers off and several vacations in between. You must take teaching courses and graduate with a degree in education. Community College is not that expensive and you can take classes at night as you can afford it. But becoming a doctor, scientist, engineer, accountant, etc. does require intensive college classes.

• John T

I think that really depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a doctor, then college is the only way. Likewise, most technical professions require a 4-year degree.

By choosing carefully which college you attend, and managing money well, you can get out with less debt. No, it's not cheap at all. But you have to figure out what you want, and then see if college makes it possible to achieve your goal.

Ya it is because if you go to college, your more likely to get a better education and job, therefore giving you more income and you can pay off the debt.

Source(s): College

your going to be spending more of your had earned money paying back that load

then its worth thats how they get you , its not worth it in the long run 8 to 14 years to pay them back

think about it