Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 years ago

am i overdoing it? (losing weight)?

Hello, i'm trying to lose 40 pounds as quickly as possible since summer is just around the corner. I'm doing it the healthy way, at least i think. I'm a teenage girl, so of course I want to look good in a bikini, but i of course am also doing this to be fit and healthy. About 3 days ago, i started my "diet". i don't like to call it a diet though, because really, i'm just eating healthier/a little bit less than normal (it's not like im eating 600 calories a day). So, for the past week, this is what i have been doing. i LOVE diet pop, but i know diet is still considered bad for you, so i've completely cut it from my diet, and instead, strickly water/unsweetened tea. For breakfast, I'll have a small bowl of cereal, but they healthy kind, like special K with a TINY bit of milk (not because milk has fats, but precisely because i don't like milk/soggy cereal lol) and i'll have a banana OR a 90 cal yogurt. (BTW, im doing the 5-7 small meal thing). Next, around noon-2 pm, i'll have my biggest meal. today i had a small grilled chicken breast, and cooked it in a pan with red peppers, onions, and broccoli. for flavor, i added pepper, and a dash of vinegar/olive oil. About 2 hours later, i had a 8 trisquit crackers with a tiny bit of egg salad (for flavor) on each one. 3 hours later, i wasn't too hungry, but was going to the gym so i knew i had to eat something. I had a lean pocket, it was 240 calories (chicken w/ spinach). After that, i went to the gym for 2 hours. First, i do 35 minutes of cardio on the elliptical, then work on arms, then do leg presses, and a LOT of ab workouts. I heard that it's better to do more cardio to lose weight, but i also want to be tone so im wondering if doing the other stuff like lifting will be beneficial? Ok, so after the gym, I was starved, so i came home and had an apple and about 10 baby carrots (i'm shooting to go to the gym about 5 times a week). I am so extremely careful about portion control, it's sort of crazy, and since my goal is to lose a lot of weight, I know i need to keep a healthy diet and limit my calorie intake, workout, drink lots of water.. ALL of which i am doing. I just am concerned if i am overdoing it by the very strict diet/exercising. Right now, my stomach feels so empty, but i KNOW i have ate enough today. I don't want the whole starvation mode to happen, because then i won't lose any weight. well, what do you think? any helpful advice, or stories how you managed to lose weight?

• Dee
    Best Answer

Ok, the first thing you need to realize is if you are doing a lot of exercise every day, which it sounds like you are, you need to eat MORE than a normal person. Right now you are eating less. Eating more will you give you enough energy to exercise but still give you the nutrients you need. This is how people fall into bad habits. You need to proportion the amount of exercise with the amount of food you're eating. So here's how many calories you should be getting:

http://www.kriskris.com/how-many-calories-should-i...

Stay healthy and good luck! I'm sure you will lose the weight, you just need to be healthy and keep at it because the worst thing you can do is the starvation thing because only two things can result:

1. Your starvation progresses until you are hospitalized, forced to eat, and the issue is recognized by your family.

2. You finally realize it is not a good idea, but when you try to stop, you begin gaining more fat than before because your body is in survival mode.

Sounds like you're not really eating enough, but I'm a man so I don't know lol. Your breakfast and lunch sounded great, but after that it doesn't look like you're getting enough food, especially if you're hitting the gym. You should be eating minimum around 1400 cals a day when you're losing weight and being active. It's a little too early to say since you just started your "diet". You could be feeling hungry because your body is just getting used to the changes you're making. If in a week or two you still find yourself hungry, that's your body telling you FEED ME, PLEASE! I would recommend adding some chicken into your dinner insetad of eating an apple, some carrots, and crackers. Also you will lose more weight if you do the 5-7 small meal thing. Maybe plan ahead and make your meals the day before, putting them into portion controlled zip lock bags. That's what I did and it worked great, and I was never hungry after the first week.

• Hi :)

How many calories / day you eating? You mention 600?

1. You need to slow down your health may be at risk.

2. If you lose too much weight too quicly your body will kick into "survival mode" ... and "slowly" ... burn off fat.

Slow and steady wins the race !

no, you're not overdoing it, by this stage you'll lose them in less than 2-3 months.

50 minutes of cross country skiing

wash your car instead of taking it through the car wash

skip waiting rooms

Do 45 minutes cardio workouts a few times a week

drink 3 cups of green tea in 24 hours researchers say it can increase energy expenditure by 106 calories

Drink green tea green tea can help you lose weight