theGreatPanda asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Will my puppy stop biting when he grows older? And potty training tips?

I have a 3 month old chihuahua poodle. We've had him for about a little over a month, now. I've been trying to teach him to potty train - usually he goes straight for the grass when he needs to pee but when it comes to the other business, he doesn't do it until he gets in the house, for some reason.

Any tips? I try to take him out every few hours but he still has those accidents around the house. And how long until he learns to go potty outside?

It's been raining lately where I live so any tips to get around that?

Also, I know he's teething. He bites me whenever I come anywhere near him but as long as I have some toy he'll go for that instead. How long does the teething last and will he continue to bite this much when he gets older?

Unless you take action, he will continue to bite, even when he is older. Whenever he bites or mouths you at all, make a loud or high pitched sound, stand up, turn around, and ignore him until he is once again calm. This will show him that biting and mounthing effexts him negativley without having to be physically punished. I used this method with my dog, and she stopped entirely by the time she was 3 months, but it only works if you are consistent. As for his accidents in the house, try to take him out even more often, and mabey in the dryest spot possible as well. Whenever he "goes" outside, give him lots of praise. Make sure you also have a carpet cleaner spray because even after you pick up his accident in the house, there will still be small traces of scent there, and then he is more likely to "go" again in that area.

Whenever he bites you, ignore him and move away if you can so he can't bite. Give him attention as long as he ins't biting, turn your back and ignore when he does, and repeat. He get the picture eventually and he'll bite less and less as he gets older. With my great dane puppy I had the opposite problem. She'd poop outside in then come in and pee. This is how my dog trainer told me to potty train and it was like a switch in her head! I bought a crate for her to sleep in and she went in when it was time to eat, sleep, she was home alone, or at anytime I couldn't have her directly in my sights. Anytime she was out of her crate I had the leash on her and tied it to my belt loop. That way she couldn't wonder off and sneak a poo/pee in the floor where I couldn't correct her. Also it teaches her to walk on a leash and keeps her from chewing stuff :D I set and egg timer to take her out on the hour every hour when I was home. If accidents happens she got a firm "no" and I took her outside for a few minutes even though she didn't have to poo anymore (so she'd associate potty with outside). She seriously was totally potty trained after a week of me doing this. Now she's six months old and is perfectly behaved and has full run of the house! Good luck with your new pup!! P.S. As for the rain, bring an umbrella! I have to for my Boston or he won't go out there haha.

Source(s): owner of a great dane and a boston terrier
  • gulkis

the only maximum serious ingredient of dogs and doggy guidance is which you advantages and compliment your dogs or doggy each time she does the ideal suited ingredient. case in point: compliment her whilst she chews her very own toys fairly of the settee or removes exterior fairly of contained in the abode. The extra time you spend with your doggy or dogs, the speedier and extra uncomplicated it is going to likely be to coach her. the biggest to abode guidance is to make certain a habitual that will enhance the possibilities that your dogs will do away with contained in the ideal suited place on your presence, so as that she can be praised and rewarded; and reduces the possibilities that your dogs will do away with contained in the incorrect place so as that she would be able to no longer improve undesirable behavior. that is important which you're making provisions on your dogs once you're no longer abode. until your dogs is housetrained, she should not be allowed loose run of your place. in any different case, she would be able to improve a habit of leaving piles and puddles everywhere and everywhere. Confine her to a small section which comprise a kitchen, bathing room or application room that has water/stain resistant flooring. Confinement isn't crate guidance. what's Crate guidance? Crate guidance might properly be a superb and powerful thank you to abode prepare a dogs. canines do no longer elect to soil their resting/drowsing quarters if given sufficient hazard to do away with someplace else. quickly confining your dogs to a small section strongly inhibits the tendency to urinate and defecate. besides the indisputable fact that, there continues to be a much extra important ingredient of crate guidance. Confine your doggy to a small, 'doggy-proofed' room and paper the full floor. placed his mattress, toys and foodstuff/water bowls there. in the beginning up there will be no rhyme or reason to the place your doggy removes. he will go each the place and any the place. he will additionally probable play with the papers, bite on them, and drag them around his little den. maximum domestic canines try this and you basically ought to stay with it. are not getting disappointed; basically settle for it as existence with a youthful doggy. the important ingredient is that as quickly as you get abode, freshen up the mess and lay down clean papers.