Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

Two Questions about English pronunciations.?

What if I say "Thank yaw" instead of "Thank you" I always pronounce "you" like "yaw" and I use the "aw" a lot in some words. I say cawfee, thank yaw, yaw, etc.. is it okay?

Can I learn English from Family guy? Can I pronounce the words like they do in Family guy because I watch family guy a lot. I'm still learning you know and I live in USA

Favorite Answer

Pronunciation and accents require a lot more space than we can use here. Let me try to keep it simple: English vowels are pronounced slightly differently in different parts of the country and under different conditions. These differences are sometimes expressed with different orthography, depending on what the writer/speaker is trying to accomplish. I generally write "you" and pronounce the word like the tree, "yew." When I speak more quickly, more informally, I might drop the "ew" and just say "y' " as in "y'know?" When "you" comes after a word ending in "t," it frequently sounds like "ch," as in "whatcha want?"

That "kwa-fee" for "coffee" seems to be a New York/Boston affectation. Don't try to imitate Stewie. Meg and Lois speak fairly normally. Peter has an accent that's not good to imitate- too crass, too uneducated. (That works for Peter's character in the series, but makes for a poor example.) If you live in the USA, you have a lot of choices to get the sounds of English. ... Good luck!!

Some people may think that you are from a foreign country because in a way, you are using a foreign accent. It is up to yourself if it is okay because the USA is such a multi-cultural country, and I personally think that other people will understand your actions.

Redneck ?

Best way to train an accent is to practice it yourself. it doesnt matter what you listen to, as long as you listen to something that could help you. Use a voice recorder if you need to.

• granny

If you want to sound like a hillbilly, go ahead, but it you want to sound educated, say, "thank you".