Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

what do you think about bloodless medicine and how Jw's have helped with advancments in the medical feild?

-The New England Journal of Medicine found that "an estimated 66 percent of transfusions are administered inappropriately."

-"While blood transfusions are safer today than in the past, they still pose risks, including immune reactions and contracting hepatitis or sexually transmitted diseases."—Dr. Terrence J. Sacchi, clinical assistant professor of medicine.

-"I don't see any conventional abdominal operation that in a normal patient routinely requires blood transfusion."—Dr. Johannes Scheele, professor of surgery, Jena, Germany.

-Many patients view it not as a last resort but as a preferred treatment, and with good reason. Stephen Geoffrey Pollard, a British consultant surgeon, notes that the morbidity and mortality rates among those who receive bloodless surgery are "at least as good as those patients who receive blood, and in many cases they are spared the postoperative infections and complications often attributable to blood."

-Doctors have now successfully applied bloodless techniques during operations and emergency procedures that traditionally required transfusions. "Major cardiac, vascular, gynaecological and obstetrical, orthopaedic, and urological surgery can be performed successfully without using blood or blood products," notes D.H.W. Wong, in the Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia.

-One advantage of bloodless surgery is that it promotes better-quality care,surgery without blood can be "quicker, cleaner and less expensive."

-Presently, more than 1,400 Hospital Liaison Committees worldwide are equipped to provide doctors and researchers with medical literature from a data base of over 3,000 articles related to bloodless medicine and surgery. "Not only Jehovah's Witnesses, but patients in general, are today less likely to be given unnecessary blood transfusions because of the work of the Witnesses' Hospital Liaison Committees," notes Dr. Charles Baron, a professor at Boston College Law School.#

the bible had stated to abstain from blood thousands of years before we finally understood how dangerous blood could be in 2012!!

many have criticized Jehovah's Witnesses for their refusal of blood. But a guide published by the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland calls the Witnesses' position "a sign of respect for life." In truth, the Witnesses' rigorous stand has been a major force behind safer medical treatment becoming available for all. "Jehovah's Witnesses in need of surgery have shown the way and exerted pressure for improvements in an important sector of the Norwegian health service," writes Professor Stein A. Evensen, of Norway's National Hospital.

Update:

@ Jackie- and people die eevryday from infection from blood transfusions or carless mistakes. Half of the deaths from blood transfusions result from human error....learn the facts!!

Update 2:

I love how people keep talking about deaths from refusing blood transfusions when they don't realize that your taking just as much of a chance of dying from taking one as not taking one....anybody that says other wise are just unedcucated thats all!!!

sorry everyone for spelling mistakes i type fast lol

Update 3:

@ Jackie- are you joking????? I just spoke to a nurse a couple of months ago who told me that her sister died from catching HiV

10 - 50 000 people per year catch Hepatitis C around the world from blood transfusions (excluding AIDS and wtv else you can catch) and HALF of the deaths from taking blood are due to human error EX: blood not stored properly or wrong blood type

HIV can remain dormant in your body for 10 years so the blood you take could be infected and you would not know!!

Over 100 000 Physician's around the world agree that BLOODLESS is better and safer for you and it would also save money.

In Quebec and ontario (don't know about the rest of the world) They use the "let it bleed" method which involves only closing the major blood vessels during surgery and letting the rest bleed until our own body stops the bleeding and than they give a blood transfusion...why? Because doctors here are not payed per hour but are payed for every surgery and the "

Update 4:

@ Jackie- are you joking????? I just spoke to a nurse a couple of months ago who told me that her sister died from catching HiV

10 - 50 000 people per year catch Hepatitis C around the world from blood transfusions (excluding AIDS and wtv else you can catch) and HALF of the deaths from taking blood are due to human error EX: blood not stored properly or wrong blood type

HIV can remain dormant in your body for 10 years so the blood you take could be infected and you would not know!!

Over 100 000 Physician's around the world agree that BLOODLESS is better and safer for you and it would also save money.

In Quebec and ontario (don't know about the rest of the world) They use the "let it bleed" method which involves only closing the major blood vessels during surgery and letting the rest bleed until our own body stops the bleeding and than they give a blood transfusion...why? Because doctors here are not payed per hour but are payed for every surgery and the "

Update 5:

why? Because doctors here are not payed per hour but are payed for every surgery and the "let bleed" method takes half the time...that is why they encourage you to take blood..not because it is better for you!!!!

Update 6:

@ Loki- and how many people did blood transfusions kill before they realized it was dangerous?

Update 7:

@pangolin- okay after you said that there is no such thing as the "let bleed method" i know that your full of crap lol i live in quebec and my sister in law is a docter so you should go back and get an education because i don't know where your from but that is how most docters work around here....bloodless is safer and has better results...your telling me im full of crap??? these are quotes from docters not Jw's so go tell them they are liars than!!!!

Update 8:

@pangolin- okay after you said that there is no such thing as the "let bleed method" i know that your full of crap lol i live in quebec and my sister in law is a docter so you should go back and get an education because i don't know where your from but that is how most docters work around here....bloodless is safer and has better results...your telling me im full of crap??? these are quotes from docters not Jw's so go tell them they are liars than!!!!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Here's two links on the blood transfusion issue. Please all of you reading this go to these links and hopefully learn something informative about us and our children and also learn some important information, from a non-Witness source, about the dangers of blood transfusions. You never know, just learning this, may help to someday save your life or the life of a loved one. Here's the links:

http://www.jonbarron.org/heart-health/problems-blo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyPQyp401uo

Youtube thumbnail

(About the link to the non-Witness article, here's the title and a snippet of the first paragraph:

"Blood Transfusions May Have Killed Millions"

Last October, I wrote a blog entry about the dangers associated with blood transfusions. It was triggered by a study out of Duke University that found that transfusions increase your risk of heart attack and death. According to the study, the problem is that the oxygen-transporting efficacy of stored blood begins to decay almost immediately.)

And yes Jehovah's Witnesses have pioneered the way for bloodless surgery.

• 8 years ago

You're full of crap.

JW patients are a pain in the ***, to be quite honest. I know cardiac surgeons who refuse to operate in some cases because they refuse to be made the instrument of someone's death.

Your impression of how we view transfusion is skewed. We give blood only when necessary. We don't take it lightly, and we use other methods whenever possible, in JW and non-JW patients like.

"Bloodless" surgery is no different time-wise than any other surgery, and there is NO SUCH THING as "let it bleed" surgery. Ever.

You fail to mention the post-operative complications and increased costs associated with severe post-op anemia. Does your god like kidney failure?

I've been giving anesthesia for 21 years, and have seen more surgeries than you've had hot dinners. Seriously - tens of thousands of them. Spend 21 years in the OR, and then I'll listen to what you have to say.

Quit ranting. Nobody believes what you're spewing, unless they've also drunk the Kool-Aid.

Source(s): I'm an anesthesiologist, and I have taken care of JW patients.
  • David
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Jehovas witlesses are really irrelevant.

Doctors and surgeons are aware of the risks associated with transfusions, so do not do them unless they are needed.

Often transfusions are essential for saving life and poorly thought out ignorance based superstitious objections should have no place in medical practise.

"If you have an accident and lose nearly all your blood, then there is nothing else you can do other than have a blood transfusion, or you die." Good point Jackie, see my first link below.

• 8 years ago

I checked out the Norwegian doctor, Professor Stein A. Evensen, and he claims that JW has abused his statements, and that he has been quoted out of context.

It's quite likely that the rest of the Watchtower propaganda is equally misleading.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

How exactly did they "help" advancement in the medical field? Please provide proof of how they DIRECTLY helped in the advancement in the medical field. All of that just sounds like the nature advancing in medical knowledge.

Even if Jehovah's Witnesses did help with this, how many people did their beliefs kill in the years it took to get this advanced? And how many more will it continue to kill due to some circumstances where blood transfusion is the only option?

• 8 years ago

What do I think of Watchtower propaganda? Shameful.

I am thinking of a two year old girl called hope, who died because her parents accepted blindly a Victorian wife-beater's interpretation of the prohibitions of a bronze-age tribal god.

Shame, shame on you for promoting this stuff.

• Blah blah blah copied and pasted rambling.

Put it in your own words.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.