Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 8 years ago

Are there any non-stoners who support legalizing marijuana?

I've never heard of one who did.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't use it , . I'm a father of 6 children. But I think it should be legal. Its use has been lauded as a treatment for everything from depression, to cancer. I've watched several documentaries on the subject, and found my opinion of it change over the last 10 or so years. Things to point out-

1) Its called a gateway drug - so is alcohol and cigarettes. Why not make them illegal? The billions of dollars in taxes they generate, plus the 1000's of jobs they produce.

2) Marijuana use related deaths in the US since 1937 - 0

3) Alcohol and deaths related to smoking in USA since 1937 - 22,500,000 (est)

4) The biggest parties interested in keeping marijuana illegal - pharmaceutical companies. Why pay $80 for a pill to treat something, when you can get it from you're back yard?

5) Amount of money spent on the "War On Drugs" since 1967 - $2,000,000,000,000. Are we really winning?

6) Over 50000 arrests in NYC alone ( mostly african americans ) over a provision in the law where if you're in possession of it, it's a fine. But if it's in public view, its a felony and you go to jail. So , if you're stopped in NYC, and have weed in your pocket, out of sight, and the police tell you to empty your pockets - Boom- felony. Millions of taxpayer dollars spent on frivolous charges and burdening an already over-worked court system.

So, I say legalize it. Legal to possess an amount for personal use. Purchase it at a location where a trained and certified proprietor has made sure its safe for you to use. Price it at or below what you were paying for it from the guy down the street (who knows WHAT he put in it). Pay the sales taxes on it. Legal to transport anywhere in the US , in an amount deemed for personal use. Legal to use in the privacy of your own home, or on your own property, out of sight of the general public.

But- Illegal to grow. Illegal to serve to minors. Illegal to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of it. You know; common sense laws.

How many people in the country use it? Who can say for definite. How many good people who like to smoke a little on the weekend (same as sharing a 6-pack) with some friends, lose their jobs because random drug testing just happened to fall on that month? How many-basically good- people are sitting in over-crowded jails right now because of laws that were made in the 20's and 30's, mostly against African-American jazz musicians?

I've seen those festivals they have in Seattle and San Fransisco every so often. Know whats missing? All the fist fights and pushing and shoving, and people just being butt holes.

I'm white, middle-aged, non-user male. Even I can see what good can come from legalizing it. A whole new industry around a resource we've had for centuries and never thought to exploit. A resource that can create jobs, tax revenue, AND fight crime? Where the f*ck are the politicians who want to here my opinion? Oh , right. I need a lobbyist, and about $500,000 in campaign contributions.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Never smoked marijuana, or done any other drugs, but I believe it should be. Cigarettes and alcohol kill millions every year. In the tens of thousands of years that marijuana has been used, not one death has been recorded. Not saying its exactly healthy, but it is definitely better for you than cigarettes or alcohol.

• Doug B
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

You again?

For what feels like the 20th time, I am an advocate of legalizing marijuana even though I have no desire to smoke it.

• Tim
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

I am not a smoker but I do believe it should be legal. I am a libertarian and so believe people should have the freedom to do whatever they please so long as it does not harm anyone else. Therefore, drug, whether it be cannabis or cocaine, it should be legal. How dare a government tell people what they can and can't do to their own body.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

marijuana is legal, it's small minds and fake ideals (laws) that make it illegal (at gunpoint).

i don't use it. i don't believe i, nor anyone else should have a say in who should be allowed to use it.

• 8 years ago

but why would anyone support something that would be "defiling to the body". even if it helped with one problem, it would end up causing another.

• 8 years ago

you never hear of one because you didn't pay attention the hundreds of other times this question was asked

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.