Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 8 years ago

What, in your opinion, are the most overrated pieces of classical music?

I can't get over how people obsess over pieces like Beethoven's Bagatelle no. 25 (Für Elise), and the first movement of Piano Sonata no. 14. Yeah, they're nice, but some really nice pieces seem to get neglected.

Any other examples?

Best Answer

I don't want to sound pedantic but there *has* to be a difference of opinion between the casual listener and the learned musician/professional - where the latter tends to take into consideration the actual craftsmanship of the composer.

That being said, an *overrated* piece of music would be some badly-written composition that, despite its poor craftsmanship, is nevertheless popular to the point of defying any rational explanation whatsoever. Thus, for instance, Del's suggestions - Pachelbel's Canon and Tchaikovsky's finale to his Fifth Symphony - no doubt fit that definition.

From a personal -and strictly personal - standpoint, I would include the following works into that select repertoire of ''most overrated pieces of classical music'' (boy, this one is touchy...):

- Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture

- Satie: A loooot of piano works, including of course that dreadful Gymnopédie No. 1

- Bruckner: The symphonic works - mediocre thematic material and formal design (that slooooooow rhythmic pace) in an otherwise beautiful orchestral garb

- Glass: All of it (if that guy had only written the film score to Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi... Minimalism is a musical dead-end)

- Rachmaninoff: Third Piano Concerto (A good movie does not a good work make - and that trivial thematic stuff... A carbon copy of his successful - and great - Concerto No. 2)

And by the way, I wouldn't include works like Carl Orff's Carmina Burana or Beethoven's ''Moonlight'' Sonata - there too *has* to be a difference between ''overexposed'' and ''overrated'' as these works show good craftsmanship.

Edit Add: Thanks Mr. *N* for that TD. OK little feller, now be a man and enlighten us with your precious knowledge by responding to this one instead of distributing TD like Easter Eggs (no, you can't TD more than once).

Best,

Raymond

• Felix

EIner Kleiner Nachtmusik. Just depressing stuff to me. Unlike the music of Alban Berg.

Air on a G string too.

I also think Tchaikovsky's 1st piano concerto really disappoints after the opening.

I pretty much Ditto Raymond's perspective: I especially couldn't agree more regarding Rachmaninoff's "3rd Piano Concerto" - nothing but a lot of sheer, pianistic pyrotechnics.

I'll try to duck all the rotten tomatoes that I expect are going to be thrown my way, when I say that I 'feel' that a lot of Mozart is overrated, and overexposed. Granted, he was a colossal genius, but, REALLY.....................!

The same for J.S. Bach: some of his works, I can't get enough of; but others...................!

Alberich

I think Mozarts turkish march is overrated, somehow i dont find it so amazing but everybody knows it.I mostly listen to classical but im not sure, i have no musical education.

• oliver

I think the whole of the moonlight sonata is overrated not just the first movement, there are many of his other sonatas that I think are much better (particularly the Pathetique).

I also think Pachelbel's Cannon is vastly overrated.

One of them must surely be:

Bruch - Violin Concerto No 1 - a second-rate piece which one simply can't get away from.

Pachelbel - Canon in D - an annoying trifle from an otherwise fairly important composer of organ music.

Rakhmaninov - Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini - has never convinced me.

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No 5 - in my opinion his weakest symphony, especially that awful finale.

I will post more as I think of them.

Pachelbel Canon. It is used in everything. Here is something that will help get my point across. Watch the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

Youtube thumbnail

Ravel : Bolero

Source(s): Classical Music Lover

Beethoven in general is overrated. Bach deserves his acclaim, not him. I won't lie, I like his Egmont Overture and plenty of his less popular work, but the major symphonies are played to death.

Others:

Serenade no. 13 for Strings in G Major (Mozart)

The Four Seasons

Peter and The Wolf (so textbook...I remember first hearing it in 1st grade music class)

Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.