Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 9 years ago

Britons, do you consider yourself to be European, or plain British?

Please answer the following basic questions about Europe, if you please. (Without resorting Google, of course)

Political Questions:

1- How many countries are there in Europe?

2- What is the name of the Political and Economic power, within Europe?

3- How many countries are found within this Political power?

4- How many stars does the EU flag have?

5- What is the title of the EU's hymn song?

6- Which 6 countries ignited the formation of the EU?

7- Which country, within the EU, refuses to conform with the Euro currency?

8- What is the highest Euro banknote?

9- UK is inside the Schengen area. True or False?

10- Where is the headquarters of the ECB (European Central Bank)?

Historical Questions:

11- What country is known for being the Cradle of Democracy?

12- In which country was the artistic movement, Rococo, developed?

13- Which country flourished the Renaissance?

14- What country is known for being the pioneer in the Age of Exploration?

15- The Roman Empire was a Military Order, ignited where?

16- England holds the oldest alliance, worldwide, with another country. Which one?

17- The Italians are the original Latins, followed by the French. True or False?

18- In which country, was Adolf Hitler born?

19- Before Christianity was practiced all over Europe, what doctrine did the Europeans embody?

20- What colour was Napolean Bonaparte's horse?

Cultural Questions:

21- Hellenic is the identity of whom?

22- Odin is a Greek god, from ancient Greek mythology. True or False?

23- Europe (or Europa), is named after what?

24- Vampires are a myth from what country?

25- Playing around with the bulls, is a cultural sport from what country?

26- The Swiss in Switzerland, speak Swiss. True or False?

Geographical Questions:

27- Norway and Sweden share the same landmass Peninsula. Which is?

28- Turkey is a valid country to Europe, and the Europeans. True or False?

29- Malta is a country located in what sea?

30- Amsterdam is the capital of what country?

31- Russia is a valid country of Europe. True or False?

@Sarch_UK, Hehe, this is not my homework.

I just want an idea, of what do the British know about the general history of continental Europe.

I'm not forcing you to answer. I just thought it would be a fun quiz.

Cheers.

Favorite Answer

53 year old Welsh person here first, then British and European.

Political Questions:

1- How many countries are there in Europe? <fx: Counts on fingers...> About 43 if I counted them properly, including Andorra, Monaco, the Vatican, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia, but not including Kazakhstan...

2- What is the name of the Political and Economic power, within Europe? The European Union

3- How many countries are found within this Political power? 27

4- How many stars does the EU flag have? 12

5- What is the title of the EU's hymn song? Ode to Joy

6- Which 6 countries ignited the formation of the EU? West Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg.

7- Which country, within the EU, refuses to conform with the Euro currency? Britain and Denmark have official opt-outs, Sweden doesn't but is making no attempt to meet the criteria to join the Euro.

8- What is the highest Euro banknote? 500 euro

9- UK is inside the Schengen area. True or False? False

10- Where is the headquarters of the ECB (European Central Bank)? Frankfurt am Main

Historical Questions:

11- What country is known for being the Cradle of Democracy? Greece

12- In which country was the artistic movement, Rococo, developed? I'll guess Italy

13- Which country flourished the Renaissance? Italy

14- What country is known for being the pioneer in the Age of Exploration? Portugal and Spain

15- The Roman Empire was a Military Order, ignited where? not sure what you mean here.

16- England holds the oldest alliance, worldwide, with another country. Which one? Portugal

17- The Italians are the original Latins, followed by the French. True or False? Not really, the Franks were a Germanic tribe.

18- In which country, was Adolf Hitler born? Austria

19- Before Christianity was practiced all over Europe, what doctrine did the Europeans embody? Any number of different pagan faiths, Asatru (the Viking faith - Odin/Wotan, Valhalla and all that), presumably some ex-Romans still practised Mithraism, Zoroastrianism, or followed the classical Greco-Roman pantheon, others worshipped local spirits or ancestors.

20- What colour was Napolean Bonaparte's horse? Most of the portraits that I recall have him on a grey.

Cultural Questions:

21- Hellenic is the identity of whom? Greek

22- Odin is a Greek god, from ancient Greek mythology. True or False? False.

23- Europe (or Europa), is named after what? Some young maiden who was kidnapped by Zeus in the form of a bull - you can see them on the back of the Greek 2-euro coin.

24- Vampires are a myth from what country? Mainly Romania/Transylvania, but not uniquely so.

25- Playing around with the bulls, is a cultural sport from what country? Spain, and also a bit in southern France.

26- The Swiss in Switzerland, speak Swiss. True or False? Nein, non, ils parlent le francais, italiano, (Schweizer)Deutsch und Rumantsch.

Geographical Questions:

27- Norway and Sweden share the same landmass Peninsula. Which is? Scandinavia

28- Turkey is a valid country to Europe, and the Europeans. True or False? About 10% of Turkey is in Europe. Make of it what you will.

29- Malta is a country located in what sea? The Mediterranean.

30- Amsterdam is the capital of what country? The Kingdom of the Netherlands.

31- Russia is a valid country of Europe. True or False? True.

Source(s): Life.
  • Josh

Without Google:

Political Questions:

1- At a guess 39 sovereign countries countries

2- European Union (or has I like to call it the European Continental Diktat)

3- 27 soon to be 28

4- 12?

5- No idea and would never seek to know.

6- At a guess :Germany, Belgium, France, Netherlands, Luxembourg and Italy

7- The United Kingdom although several other countries have yet to join and I believe that Denmark does not have to join.

8- ...100??

9- False

10- Frankfurt

Historical Questions:

11- Greece. Although modern democracy originates from the British Isles

12- France

13-Italy

14- Spain although Portugal also had a big role

15-Rome

16- England is not a sovereign country and hence holds no alliances which is the providence of the United Kingdom

17- False

18-Austria

19- A variety of different ones

20- Ummm no idea

Cultural Questions:

21- Greek

22- False

23- a continent

24- Romania

25- Spain

26- False

Geographical Questions:

27- Scandinavian peninsular

28- Both a small part of Turkey is often considered part of Europe the majority is considered outside of it.

29- Mediterranean

30- Netherlands

31-Europe's Eastern frontier is often considered to be the Urals which means some of Russia is considered to be part of Europe the rest Asia.

Im from England, 20 years old, though i think ill be able to answer a few more than the average person. this is all from memory, i know a lot about history, culture and know geography very well, so this should be fun :)

and yes, i do consider myself European. :)

Political Questions:

1- How many countries are there in Europe? 46 i think

2- What is the name of the Political and Economic power, within Europe? European Union

3- How many countries are found within this Political power? 30? Including Turkey, which isn't really part of Europe (More the middle east, part of the asian Minor)

4- How many stars does the EU flag have? about 10, not sure

5- What is the title of the EU's hymn song? Beethoven, but i don't know the name of the song, i know the tune though lol.

6- Which 6 countries ignited the formation of the EU? Germany, France, Italy, norway and holland?

7- Which country, within the EU, refuses to conform with the Euro currency? Britain

8- What is the highest Euro banknote? 100 euros i think?

9- UK is inside the Schengen area. True or False? false

10- Where is the headquarters of the ECB (European Central Bank)? Brussles (not sure about the spelling)

Historical Questions:

11- What country is known for being the Cradle of Democracy? Greece?

12- In which country was the artistic movement, Rococo, developed? Italy?

13- Which country flourished the Renaissance? western Europe, Italy being one of the main

14- What country is known for being the pioneer in the Age of Exploration? Spain or Italy, spain, but i think they hired some italian such as Columbus.

15- The Roman Empire was a Military Order, ignited where? Germany mostly, parts of northern Itlany, Austria and so on, it was a large country.

16- England holds the oldest alliance, worldwide, with another country. Which one? I think maybe holland, or maybe holland or sweden.

17- The Italians are the original Latins, followed by the French. True or False? true, but maybe followed by the spanish.

18- In which country, was Adolf Hitler born? Austria, near the German borderd though.

19- Before Christianity was practiced all over Europe, what doctrine did the Europeans embody? Pagan, some such as Thor and Oden in scandinavia.

20- What colour was Napolean Bonaparte's horse? White, from the pictures at least, i also know that Napolean was born in corsica (spelling?) which was then a part of italy and later become part of frence.

Cultural Questions:

21- Hellenic is the identity of whom? GREEK! Helped spread by Alexander the great.

22- Odin is a Greek god, from ancient Greek mythology. True or False? False, Oden was the leader of the Scandinavian Gods.

23- Europe (or Europa), is named after what? i dont know :(

24- Vampires are a myth from what country? Romainia, thanks to Vlad the implailer, or Vlad dracula as he was also called.

25- Playing around with the bulls, is a cultural sport from what country? Spain

26- The Swiss in Switzerland, speak Swiss. True or False? False, they speak French German and i THINK some talk Itlaian.

Geographical Questions:

28- Turkey is a valid country to Europe, and the Europeans. True or False? False, its part of the EU, but its part of Asia

29- Malta is a country located in what sea? the Mediternian

30- Amsterdam is the capital of what country? Holland, maybe the Nevetherlands, i dont think its in belgum.

31- Russia is a valid country of Europe. True or False? i think its True.

Out of intrest, what country was Europe named after? I know there is a moon named after it. It was a Greek God too i think?

I know that Briton is IN Europe... BUT Europeans cannot queue. So I'm British, we call everywhere else in Europe 'The Continent'. Which we are not part of.

Political Questions:

1- There are around 45 I believe.

2- The European Union. Or the EU for short.

3- Like 25 or something?

4- I would presume the same number of member states, so around 25.

5- HAHA! A hymn song?! What a joke, I don't know.

6- France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, cant remember the rest.

7- THE BRITISH EMPIRE!

8- Its so much higher than ours! 500?

9- That's more mainland Europe. Not the UK.

10- Either Belgium or Germany. Most likely Germany as they've got a pretty sweet economy!

Historical Questions:

11- Greece, one of the earliest European area Empires.

12- That's all the lavish gold set up? France?

13- Renaissance? Screams France.

14- Briton/Spain. Both had a lot of exploration. More of Briton though I believe?

15- Duh! Italy!

16- I would presume, with all the European wars that we used to have Spain?

17- Latin is the language of the pope, Italy.

18- Austria

19- Pagans? My brother had a Pagan wedding. Bunch of nutters.

20- HA! lol white?

Cultural Questions:

21- Sounds like its from the Mediterranean, Greek?

22- Odin? No that's the old northern gods. Norway Vikings and such.

23- Something Greek.

24- Romania, Count Dracula?

25- Spain? They have that stampede they like to play in don't they?

26- haha no. It's mixed up. Mainly French and German.

Geographical Questions:

27- They're all Scandinavian. Such named the Scandinavian Peninsular.

28- They WANT to be??? Shouldn't be though.

29- Next to Greece, Mediterranean.

30- Smokey Belgium?

31- Yes.

Nice questions for a pub quiz! *yoink*

Okay, I'm not going to cheat, I'll see how many I really know (warning, I may not be very good)...

1) I haven't looked this up, but I've counted 40? I could be completely wrong...

2) The European Union.

3) I don't know...

4) Twelve (if I counted correctly)?

5) I don't know...

6) I don't know...

7) Britain.

8) I'm not sure, but I've heard about a 500euro banknote before.

9) False.

10) I don't know...

11) Greece.

12) France.

13) Italy.

14) I don't know... I'm guessing Britain?

15) Italy.

16) I don't know...

17) False.

18) Austria.

19) I don't know...

20) I don't know...

21) I don't know...

22) False.

23) I don't know...

24) Romania - I know my vampires!

25) Spain.

26) False.

27) Scandinavia.

28) Half of it is.

29) Mediterranean?

30) Holland.

31) Half of it is.

Britain is in Europe, which means we're all Europeans. I know some British people want to be separate from Europe, but we're not. We're still in Europe, so we're Europeans! Its as simple as that.

Sorry if I didn't do very well, I'm only 16, so I probably don't know that much!

I am English first, British second and if I am forced to say so then European third. However I do know the answers to all of your questions but I decline to do your homework for you...

BTW...there is more than one answer to question 7

Austrian

No we have the good luck to have the English Channel between British and Europe

Haha the eu is a joke, Britain had one of the biggest empires ever. i'm ******* british and proud even thow the government is full of posh pricks

• TSK

Talk about talking DOWN to us!!!

Just a few random answers--- Know about Switzerland because learnt Swiss German as a kid there!!!

Malta is a Commonwealth country with close ties to us !! Of course WE are NOT in Schengen.......

Source(s): Welsh/British AND European and DO NOT NEED LECTURING AT THANKS !!!!