Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Can you recommend some great gothic novels...?

That have been recently published? I'm really looking for something like Dracula or Phantom of the Opera, only newer.

P.S. Not an Anne Rice fan.

• Ruby
    Favorite Answer

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis, The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole and Henry James' The Tun of the Screw are all tried and tested classics that I thoroughly enjoyed. For more recent publications try Carols Ruiz Zafron's The Shadow in the Wind and The Angels Game as they have many gothic aspects and I think they are brilliant.

At first, gothic litarate had a short duration. The Castle of Otranto was the first gothic novel and Melmoth the Wanderer was the last one (one hundred years more or less). So, Dracula, Phantom of the Opera, any work published by Anne Rice, Stephen King, H.P. Lovecraft or similar... isn't gothic novel.

You should read The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe.

Greetings