Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 years ago

Family member employees dishonesty?

I have two family members working for me. My mother and aunt. Its a cleaning business.

For quite some time I've noticed that they're saying that they've worked more than they actually did. Recently I've had customers voice it to me as well. Saying well you said they would be here till this time but they left at this time. Then I realized that they've charged me more than they've worked. With the customer its usually a flat rate. Now, I didn't want to nit pick but noticed that this has been happening a lot. Most recently a customer didn't want one of their floors cleaned so they spent only half the time cleaning, yet they charged me full four hours and they worked four. Even worse, they tried to hide it and got caught. When I questioned they kind of mumbled and changed the subject.

Considering that its family, what would you do.

I am considering the following:

giving them a time sheet to turn in every week and ALL customer payments (used to have them just deduct the cash for themselves) - hell I thought I could trust them

Install a tracking system to know how long they were at each customer's location

Please advice.

What would you do in my shoes?

Favorite Answer

.No good giving them a timetable.This wouldn't change anything.What you need to do is get the signature of the person having the service.As they'd be signing the authority for payment.Which would ultimately be charged to themselves

I kind of understand what you are going through. I used to employ my son in my business. He routinely showed up for work late, even after I spoke with him several times about it, he would still arrive for work when he was good and ready, and not when we were supposed to start.

I eventually had to let him go.

It was his first full time job after graduating from college, and he subsequently was fired from his next three jobs after me.

I think he finally got the message, and is now in a job he values enough to be a responsible employee.

It was a lesson learned for me as well. I knew in my mind that I could divide my feelings for my son as a father, from the feelings I had for him as an employee. But it seems he didn't see it that way. He mistakenly thought that he had me over a barrel, and that I wouldn't dare fire him for not showing up on time at the job site.

I work in an industry where you either trust your employees, or you get rid of them. We don't take the time to put in tracking systems, or time sheets other than for proper record keeping because if our customers perceive that we are anything less than completely honest with them, then we don't get any more contracts with them, and I am sure it's the same for you.

Tell your mom and your aunt that the customers perception is everything, and if they keep on padding their time sheets, they are going to ruin you, and end up putting you out of business. I can't imagine a mother who would deliberately hurt her son for her own personal gain, but if you can't trust your mom, then maybe you are going to have to do the same thing with her as I did with my son.

BTW, my son bears me no ill will for letting him go. At least as far as I know. He knew he deserved it, and things have turned out well in the end for him.

My advice for anyone who employs relatives who are going to take advantage of their familial position in the business, shouldn't be there.