When searching for your own groth stocks to invest in, can I hear some suggestions on screening your lists?

With the thousands of stocks out there could someone suggest how they screen to narrow down the list to a list they can start with to begin picking apart each company's numbers please? Basically the first step they start with to create a list of companys they would like to look at. Thanks!

growth*

Favorite Answer

I first look for companies that make/market a product that everyone around the world needs and uses, used up quickly and needs to buy more. Things (and companies) like fuel/power (ExxonMobil, Total, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ONEOK, Piedmont Natural Gas, Duke Energy, Southern Company etc) or soap (Proctor & Gamble, Colgate-Palmolive, Clorox), or medicine (Pfizer, Merck) or food/drink (Coke-Cola, Pepsi, General Foods, Heinz, B&G Foods etc).

I also look for companies that not only make a profit, but have increased their profit enough so they can increase their dividend every year (yes I know Apple makes a profit, is a great grower, and doesn't pay a dividend, but those type are not as common as dividend payers).

• cmcvpr

I use the ready made screens at my broker (fidelity) and morningstar.com's customized screening tool. At morningstar.com you can select by "category", so if you select "aggressive growth" you'll get everything that meets their definition of that catergory. Then you can further refine it.

No, it's not free, but it's not really expensive.