Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 years ago

What does it mean to be Detained?

The Police once detained me for speeding, told me that i must pay bail to go out and that after getting out i should go and pay a fine, called an admission of guilt fine... what does that mean? do i now get a criminal record? how is that going to have an inpact on my career? i am an engineer by profession! please help as i have just got myself a new job and left my old one...

Dr M, thanks for the response, but can you please go through the whole question and answer based on that

thanks in advance...

thanks in advance...

Favorite Answer

Being detained is when the police handcuff you or lock you in their car or put you in a holding cell without charging you with a crime. This is very common and it is legal, they do it when they arrive on a scene of a crime or disturbance with multiple people to keep things under control until they find out what happened.

For example, if the cops get called to a house and they show up and someone has a bloody nose, they will handcuff everyone until they figure out what happened so the real criminal can't run away or attack anyone else or the cops themselves. After you are released, there is no criminal record unless you are charged with somehting.