Is it surprising that Martin Luther sided with Catherine of Aragon in her dispute with Henry viii.......?

When Henry viii tried to appeal his decision to the Pope to annul his marriage, Catherine had the support of many people such as Thomas Moore, John Fisher, King Charles V. The people who supported Henry viii(like Thomas Cromwell) supported the divorce as a part of the effort to initiate the Reformation in England.

I found it interesting when i reading on this, and found that Martin Luther also agreed with the Catholic Church and support Catherine. I was surprised by this because i thought Luther would have welcomed a split between the Church of England and Rome, but apparently he thought that Henry's reasoning was invalid.

Here's a quote from Luther on the issue:

"Before I should approve of such a repudiation, I would rather let him (Henry) marry a second queen...Even if there should be a divorce, Catherine will remain Queen of England, and she will have been wronged before God and man...No, my friend, if you are bound to a woman, you are no longer a free man; God forces you to stay with wife and child, to feed and rear them".

Also, apparently Luther didn't even like Henry Viii in general

The following quote kinda shows his disdain for Henry Viii:

"... a pig, an asss, a dunghill, the spawn of an adder, a basilisk, a lying buffoon, a mad fool with a frothy mouth"

Update:

@ASSALAMU, you didn't really answer my question. You just said Luther thought women were objects and then spoke about how islam is superior

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Martin Luther agreed with the Catholic Church about far more things than he disagreed with them about. It was never Luther's intention to leave the Catholic Church. He was calling the Church to repentance. The response was excommunication from the Church by the pope. If that had not happened, Martin Luther would have died as he lived until he was excommunicated: a Roman Catholic priest.

So, no, it is not surprising at all.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

This might come as a surprise, but, but Martin Luther, and Henry VIII were staunch Roman Catholics!

Luther wished to make the Church better, and had no intentions of rebelling against it. Others did so in his name, although he eventually joined, but, not after some time. Henry persecuted Reformers - even to death. His anti-Reform writing earned him the title "Defender of the Faith," - from the Pope. The reason the Pope stalled was because he was being held hostage by Catherine's nephew - the King of Spain. Otherwise, an annulment of an illegal marriage would have been pretty routine.

But, people were divided on the issue. Henry was a very devout man, and he saw the lack of male heir as God's punishment for marrying his brother's widow - against church canons. Some, like Thomas Cranmer, agreed with his point of few, but, many did not, especially enemies of England, but, others too. In the end, the Church of England became separated, but, it remained pretty much Catholic - the Protestant Reformation never did get a strong hold on England, except much later, with the Puritans. But, opinions were divided on Henry all over Europe.

• 8 years ago

Henry VIII was against the Catholic Church,as was Martin Luther,so I figured they would be together.Given the choice,I'll side with Henry over Martin...

• 8 years ago

Fr. Luther wasn't trying to rebel against the Roman Catholic church. He was questioning the churches stance on "Saved by Grace" [Ephesians 2:8] he was against the practice of the Roman Catholic churches that emphasised a doctrine in favor of 'indulgences' and 'penitence' and self inflicted punishment to attain atonement.

Source(s): Church history.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mike
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Henry was a particularly unpleasant man. I would be surprised if anyone actually liked him. I can't believe the cruelty he inflicted on so many of his subjects.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Martin Luther could not see any benefit

from a woman but bringing into the world as many children as possible

regardless of any side effects: "If they become tired or even die, that does

not matter. Let them die in childbirth, that's why they are there"

Again and again all women are denigrated because of the image of Eve the

temptress, thanks to the Genesis account. To sum up, the Judaeo-Christian

conception of women has been poisoned by the belief in the sinful nature

of Eve and her female offspring. If we now turn our attention to what the

Quran has to say about women, we will soon realize that the Islamic

conception of women is radically different from the Judaeo-Christian one.

Let the Quran speak for itself:

"For Muslim men and women, for believing men and women, for devout

men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are

patient, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women

who give in charity, for men and women who fast, for men and women who

guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's

praise-- For them all has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward"

(Quran 33:35)

• 8 years ago

Interesting. I would have to agree with Martin Luther.

• 8 years ago

No, it's not.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.