Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 7
? asked in SportsFootball (American) · 9 years ago

Thoughts on the Lions signing Calvin Johnson to the largest contract for a wide receiver in NFL history?

8 years, $132 million, exceeding Fitzgerald's $120 million. Larry Fitzgerald last year said that Megatron deserved to be the highest paid receiver.

Update:

At Jake: I thought you hated Tulloch because of his covering skills, or lack there of.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Big win for everybody.

• A lot of Wide Receivers in The National Football League are totally delighted. Calvin Johnson's Contracxt is The New Benchmark as far as salaries for Wide Receivers. This was a good move for The Detroit Lions. Lions Managment just showed their players that if you work hard, produce and help the team win games, you will be rewarded. I just hope for their sake, they don't eventually paint themselves in a corner. The Lions have a number of good young players and in the future, those players are going to want pretty hefty Contract Extensions.

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

He deserves the money but I'm surprised the Lions actually had that sort of money.

EDIT: Tulloch isn't that bad. It's the fact that the Lions have no legit corners. Even when Chris Houston was healthy they were average at worst. It was after he got hurt that the defense collapsed. If they can sign Tulloch cheap then they should go for it.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Fitzgerald's correct. He does deserve to be the highest paid receiver in the NFL. I love how in the NFL, the guys who never argue or dispute their salaries always end up getting more than ones who do. Calvin is the ideal guy you want on your team not only for his talent as a receiver, but who he is as a person. I wish him the best in the future except when he's matched up against Darrelle.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Well, Fitz was right. He does deserve the kind of money, he's the best WR in the NFL today, and without him, the Lions would be a 6-10 team at best.

• They need him and have to pay him, but I think think they are going to be regreting a big pay day when Stafford and Suh come around for theirs.

@ Jake the only way the Lions are signing Carr is if they rip up the contract he signed with the Cowboys.

• 9 years ago

It's a great move by the Lions. When you have somebody like Calvin you need to keep him.

Also it clears up $9M this season for us to go re-sign Tulloch, or go for Brandon Carr, or try to work something out with Cliff Avril.

@BD - Yea but I said this before the deal was done

• 9 years ago

No disrespect to Stafford, but nobody else can run the "Lob the ball in the vicinity to Calvin Johnson in triple-coverage and watch him make a play every-time" offense... Nobody ever hears him complain, he does it the right way. Good for him, he deserves the money.

• ai9
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

He earned it. Him and stafford have turned the lions around. So they both have to get paid if there serious about a superbowl championship in detriot.

• GTAP!!
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Great move. Very excited. Allows us to sign a FA.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.