NEW YORK SUCKS!!! Help! Is moving a reality for me?

Keep in mind it is only March and I have made LOW 6 figures. I currently live in NY and have about $100,000 saved up. I don't necessarily have any employment opportunities anywhere else but I am tired of the hustle and bustle of this city where one lives to work. I don't have a college degree I speak 2 languages and would ideally like to move to a place like Puerto Rico or Panama City Panama. I love the weather, their way of life, their outlook on life and people. I want my wife and child to learn Spanish. My entire family outside of my grandmother and mom live in Puerto Rico. I hate it in NY and I know if I don't leave now by the end of the year the $100k will be gone. I spend $48k a year on rent which is obscene and that is not including any utilities BUT that is life in NY. We live on our vacations and simply past the time working and miserable when we are not. Both my wife and I work 10-11 hour day none of us are happy. In NY Everyone is in constant competition with each other even children. Form grades, to looks, to where they go on vacation, to where they go to school to what sport they play to how good they are at the sport, to how much money their parents have.They go from schools to afterschool programs to sports and tutoring. All of which costs thousands of dollars and your choice is make the sacrifice or be forced to have them feel austricized by there peers. Oh and EVERYONE is striving to be on Wall Street. My son is 10 and had to write a paper on what he knew most about, his friend wrote Politics Effect on Wall Street and the Economy. I kid you not. I seriously wish I were lying. I want my son to walk around with his friends play stick ball kick a soccer ball and strive for the best but not feel bad about himself if he fails. Do I have enough to leave this nightmare or is it unrealistic to think that $100k will last me long enough to find a decent job in one of these places?

Favorite Answer

i'm feeling the same way! the rent is ridiculous even in brooklyn at this point. why are you spending 4k/month on rent? you can find something for like 2500 or even less. i don't make your salary. i wish, but seriously, 4k on rent? there are places around wall st that are like 2500 and really nice. i was thinking of moving to chicago, but it sucks out there. cali is nice and cheap. have you asked your wife what she wants? it would be good to ask before making any final decisions.

You understand an excessively slender circle of humans. I are living in NYC. No one I understand desires to be on Wall Street. Most folks paintings a lovely usual paintings day. There is a few pageant to get into well public center and top colleges, however now not what you describe. Moreover, public colleges are unfastened. I are living in a cozy row condominium in Park Slope, my children move to first-class public colleges, I move out to consume plenty, attend the theater and every now and then the symphony or the opera, and move to museums as as a rule as I can. I make a good cash, however I'm now not wealthy. I as a rule make not up to you do. You have got to holiday out of that very slender circle of yours and meet a few extra intriguing New Yorkers!

Just one option, northeast Ohio, ashtabula county homes livable homes with property sell for $10,000 to $20,000 no kidding just 60 mile from Cleveland, Ohio area. Jobs are not plentiful, nor do they pay alot, but safe neighborhoods, or go out to country side and enjoy the smells of animals ( including your dog) whatever you do get out of the never ending rat race , Best of Luck,