Adrienne asked in HealthDental · 8 years ago

How long for tooth extraction hole to close?

I had two teeth removed Feb 24 of this year, one wisdom tooth and another broken tooth from an accident. It is now March 14 and the hole from the broken tooth is still open. The Wisdom tooth wound is completely healed. How long will it take for the hole to close up? I have no pain (every now and then I get a little sharp sting but it only lasts a second) the broken one when removed did develop dry socket but that was packed and it healed. That occurred the Tuesday after the removal (they were removed on a Friday).

Favorite Answer

Rest assured knowing that your healing timeline is not out of whack. Typically, it could take 2-3 months for the "hole" to close up. Extraction sockets heal from the bottom of the void up to the gum. When a tooth is removed, a blood clot forms within the socket (the space that was once filled by the root of the tooth) and the healing begins. If something happens to disturb the clot a complication known as a dry socket can develop. As the name implies, a dry socket is an "empty" extraction site that is missing the protective covering of the early blood clot. Intense pain follows because raw nerve endings in the bony walls of the socket are exposed. No one knows why or when a dry socket or condensing osteistis, as it is technically termed, will form but, it generally presents itself 48 hours after the extraction. Pain is not the only symptom; foul breath and and a nasty taste in the mouth are part of the picture. Treatment is palliative in nature requiring multiple visits to the dentist to have the socket packed with a sedative dressing. Patients who have a history of a dry socket are at greater risk than the general population of developing another should future extractions be needed. The good news is that they will heal completely.

Back to the healing time line. A tooth is removed, the blood clot forms. The gum will grow to cover the top of the "hole" in a matter of a few weeks. The inside of the socket needs to be repopulated with bone producing cells called osteocytes and over 3-6 months the bone will fill the inside.

From your description I suspect that the wisdom tooth site healed faster to your eye because the dentist was able to close the wound with stitches and the gum didn't have to grow as much to seal the "hole". The tooth that was lost by an accident probably had a more open socket and the gum has a greater distance to travel to form the seal. If your dry socket was treated as I described, the gum healing was delayed even more. Interestingly, if an x-ray were to be taken, both sites would probably show the same amount of bone regeneration.

Based on your account, everything is fine.

- Dr. Michael Sinkin, dentist in NYC

Source(s): www.michaelsinkindds.com
    • Hey Doc, I had a molar removed 7 to 8 months ago and the hole has not closed and when I eat food gets inside and I have to gently get it out.
      Is this normal not closing and what should I do.
      Thanks. Chase

1

Source(s): Neuropathy Solutions http://renditl.info/NeuropathySolutionProgram

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I had two teeth removed Feb 24 of this year, one wisdom tooth and another broken tooth from an accident. It is now March 14 and the hole from the broken tooth is still open. The Wisdom tooth wound is completely healed. How long will it take for the hole to close up? I have no pain (every now...

Source(s): long tooth extraction hole close: https://shortly.im/ilkMk

Hole In Tooth

• George H3 years agoReport

I see no content at that URL.

Wisdom Teeth Removal Hole

I had one tooth removed about three weeks ago, its not completely healed,no pain but hole is still there, think its called moller, back tooth, is it normal that the hole has not closed yet

I had an impacted premolar extracted 2mth ago. I thought it healed, but this week I started feeling really bad nerve sensation to hot and cold, now I can barely eat anything because of the discomfort. Can this be fixed?

• corinne5 years agoReport

Hello Christienea,
      I know this is an old post, but what happened to the
      sensitivity? I have the same thing. Sensitivity start 2 months after an extraction. It s driving me nuts. Thank you

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax7Z9

It may take several months, depending on how fast a healer you are. FYI, extraction sockets heal from the bottom up so that is why it takes so long before the surface looks level again.

I have a tooth that broke in half then a day later i broke out the other half. There is a whole in my gum and even though i brush freqently the whole has not closed. and now its starting to devolpe a bad smell.

it depends on how much trouble they had in removing it. i had 4 molars taken out at once and one of them (the one that took more than half an hour to remove) took about two months to heal. but even after it had healed it was still sore for a while longer. if it still hasn't begun to heal in a few more week maybe you should see if you need stitches. hope i was of help :)