Anyone heard of an alaskan klee kai?

Are they good first time pets? where can

I get one in the Northern VA area?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Oh, yes, I love Alaskan Klee Kais! They're just like mini Huskies! :)

But, they are both smart, stubborn dogs not recommended for first time dog owner. They both need firm leaders and a lot of training. Also a fair sized fenced backyard, where he can play, and in the winter enjoy the cold weather.

A Klee Kai is a high energy dog that requires long daily walks. They are not recommended 'off-leash' dogs because like the husky they love to run. My family thought we would like to add a Klee Kai into our family as a companion for our husky. But the price was a lot more then we were willing to pay over $1200. They are a rare dog, so if you do want a Klee Kai you may have to drive to get one.

Like the husky, a Klee Kai aren't fond of being left alone. But unlike huskies, Klee Kai's are good watch dogs who are weary of strangers. They are a bit more barky then the husky. You need to make sure you have a lot of time for training (recall most important one) and spending time with the dog.

They are not a breed for everyone, but if you are active people, and can handle a energetic stubborn dog why not try?

Here's an Alaskan Klee Kai breeder's website that looks pretty nice located in Northern VA:

http://makspack.intuitwebsites.com/

Source(s): Meeee!!!
  • ChiMom
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Sure...looks like a mini-Husky. They are high strung, yappy, and shed a lot. There are breeders but from my last check there is a 2 to 3 year waiting list for a pup, the cost is too high and you get what the breeder wants to give you not what you want. Those perfect marked smaller sized pups are kept for breeding. They act like a Pom! The properly marked KleeKai with the mask and blue eyes are the highest priced but then again are usually kept by the breeder. I have seen one a lady waited 2 yrs for and it was a washed out brown eyed dog that looked like an Eskimo Dog with mostly brown fur. Be careful it's a brand new breed. They are being very very cautious who gets these pups Thank God there will be no backyard breeders!! Google KleeKai and see who is listed for breeders:)

• 8 years ago

They are cute little dogs but have the potential for a lot of health issues. Bilateral cryptorchidism is common in the breed as are inguinal hernias, Patella luxation, retained baby teeth, liver failure, hypothyroidism, and bleeding disorders are also major problems in some lines. Below is a website for some decent breeders. Make sure that you do your homework and ask questions about the medical soundness of the dogs that you are interested in.

• 8 years ago

They're a fairly new breed, and as such you won't find many people who own them or many breeders who don't have very long waiting lists. I know they do have a breed club that you can look up online for more information. Keep in mind that this is still a working breed, not just an ornamental small version of a husky

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

They are similar to the labradoodle, in that they are a mixed breed that has now been given a name. Since they are still in the developmental stage, there is great variation in type and size. And they are still very expensive. Wait a few years, and like Labradoodles, you will be able to get them at every shelter in the country when people find out they are not producing consistent type and temperament.

Source(s): 49 years breeding, training and competing with dogs of various breeds.
  • 8 years ago

Here's a good site with info about them - and most other dog breeds you can think of -

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alaskankleekai.htm

hope that helps

• 8 years ago

yes, think they are byb dogs not sure if breeding true yet

google breed club list of breeders

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Nope never heard of them!

• 8 years ago

i think they are also called mini huskies they are rare and i think they are all over like $500 when puppies. Try puppyfind.com

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

yes they are mini malamutes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.