Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 8 years ago

Genesis or mongoose mountain bike? From wallmart?

I want to buy a cheap mountain bike from wallmart, online thou. There are two bikes that look good for price and have great reviews. For those answerin the question, plz dont write "get a better bike or go to a local bike shop" i just want to know what u guys think about those 2 mountain bikes. Thank you

Favorite Answer

Just get whatever the heck you want. When it breaks a week later ask here how to fix it. You see? I didn't say they are bad. I think they probably are what you need... to grow and learn.

I have had both. Personally I prefer the Genesis. They were both supposedly the same size but I felt like I was a bit scrunched on the Mongoose. I think the different lay out just didn't really work for me. As to the Walmart assembly is crap type of stuff I keep seeing in your answers, find an employee and ask who assembles the bikes. At the store wear I live, they are assembled by a bike mechanic who also does repairs on bikes (I bought my Genesis used there).I don't know if that is store policy or if I just got lucky that they had an employee who had the skills for it. The Mongoose I'd bought at Sears/K-mart and they didn't have a mechanic who assembles it. The assembly is just done by who-knows. It was missing a rear reflector, and the chain kept falling off until the chain guard busted. I returned it the next day and got my money back. Walmart actually ended up being a much better place to buy a bike. Yes, bike shops are going to be the best, but financially you'll pay a lot more (cheapest bike they had at the few places I checked out was $299, and it was used!) Hope this helps.

PS: Walmart does not allow to test ride the bikes before buying, so if you want to do that, I'd suggest going at night when nobody's there to see you and order you off the bike. Speaking from experience here.

• Btw, my sister has a Mongoose from Walmart and LOVES it. So it's really personal preference. She does have shorter legs than I do so maybe that's why I felt scrunched up.

Genesis Mountain Bikes

Genesis Bike

It isn't just about the bike, it is about the way they are assembled. Low end bikes like this often come out of the box needing more attention than a walmart sales associate can give them . You could take 10 examples of each bike and have about a 10-20% chance of getting a bike that works properly. One of the biggest reasons why bikes sold in bike shops are better is that they are put together by someone who knows how and who has the proper tools to do the job. The bike shop I go to gets a lot of brand new discount store bikes in for tuneups. Often they still have the tags and stickers still attached

Flip a coin in the air. Heads- buy the Mongoose. Tails - buy the Genesis. They're both C-R-A-P!!!

• John M

They are poor quality, poorly assembled, and worse yet only come in one size. Get something like this for a few dollars more.

http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/product/12diamondb...

Made in China vs Made in China ? Which choice should you pick?

genesis

Source(s): mongoose are bad

Please dont get a Walmart bike. they are junk bud!