Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Is my dog mentally retarded or similar?

My girlfriend’s dog is around 3 year old, it is a cross between a staffy and something else. Anyway since I have been going round her house I have noticed her dog is very strange. She got it from the kennels and they believe it was abused before it was rescued.

To start with its tongue is far too big for its mouth, it physically can't put its tongue in its mouth but I have researched and have seen that it is a feature of cross breeding/inbreeding. This was what initially alerted me to other things though,

It cut a bit of its tongue off from running into a wall and it bleed servilely resulting in a trip to the vets, it also walked into something else and snapped its nail and had to be put in a full leg cast. Its constantly licking its face and spitting all over its head.

When it is sitting next to you and you call its name or make a noise it turns its head slowly, I know that doesn't sound much but it’s weird, all other dogs I've seen/owned do it quick, what I'm trying to say is it has really slow reactions, even when I throw the ball for it in the garden it sometimes forgets its going for the ball half way through running for it and just stops?

I was playing with it once and it just started running away from me, as if it just forgot who I was and I was a complete stranger. The other day it jumped onto the chair and it couldn't get on it and just fell, it sits on that chair every day and never has a problem getting up. When I have its ball it plays like a normal dog but I put it back the other day and it thought my hand was the ball and was attempting to play with my hand exactly the same.

Sometimes I go in the house and it'll instantly start shaking like its petrified, then 2 minutes later its sitting next to me tapping me with its paw to be stroked. Other times I'll come in and it will run and jump at me and lick me and won't leave me alone. Even yesterday I was in the house with it just stroking it on the bed and all of a sudden it stopped, stared at me as if it just seen a ghost and sprinted out the room and downstairs.

It pants and shakes at everything, it can't even have football on the television as it is petrified of it and when it pants and shakes its heart rate is ridiculously fast. When it is taken for walks it gets attacked by cats and doesn't seem to retaliate it just gives in, and its not just one its a few bully it and the dog does nothing. It can't interact with other dogs as it just gets attacked and doesn't retaliate.

It constantly passes gas every day and it stinks, whenever you stand up anywhere in the house it runs to the back door and just stands there as if it wants to be out and when anyone opens the door it just stands there looking like its forgot why it’s there. The other day it fell asleep standing up (I took a photo it was very funny) I have never heard of a dog doing that. It also can sit for ages just staring at you but it’s as if it’s staring through you.

It can do all the commands of a normal dog like sit, lie down, paw, stay, roll over but it won’t do any of them if it’s not on this certain rug?

No one in that house has hurt the dog, it is given a lot of love and it gives a lot of love back, I love it and I’m really nice to it and would never hurt it but sometimes it’s randomly petrified of me, it’ll stand in front of me with its head down, shaking as if I’m about to punish it. The family just laugh it off and say she’s just “stupid” and “cute” but I’m worried about it because it obviously has something seriously wrong with it. Has anyone had a similar experience or have an explanation for why it’s like this?

The only thing I can think of is I look like it owner that abused it? Even then I am always nice to it and never tease/hurt it but that still wouldn’t explain why it sometimes loves me and other times is scared of me? Too me it doesn’t seem too happy and when it is just sitting or lying down it will make random grunts or moans without moving or anything, it is very strange.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I want to know if it can have anything done to help it?

Favorite Answer

im really sorry i dont have a proper answer but i can try help.

it sounds like the dog is suffering from post traumatic stress or something and maybe it has flashbacks from when it was previously abused.

its great that you love it and wanna help. id take it to a vet and tell them all of this and see if they can recomend you to a person who is trained to fix these problems in a dog. iv seen shows were ppl are like dog councelers or something and they fix all sorts of weird problems.

good luck with your doggie.

ps there is such a thing as having a retarded dog. a lot of dogs that were the runt of the litter are dimwitted cause they dont get enough oxygen at birth :(

• mel23

Try looking into the breeds you think it is. Maybe there's things about those breeds that will give u answers. And maybe it's nose doesn't get enough air if it's pushed in too much. Like bull dogs or pugs. They get tired easily. As for trust issues there might be memories that reminds her time after time.

Want to know how to get your ex back? Change yourself. Don't worry about changing other people, worry about changing yourself. Go to https://tr.im/eFVPG

Once you do that then you can start to worry about getting back together with your ex, other wise you will find that you are fighting about all the same things and getting no where. Do what it takes and I promise things will work out in your favor.

The funny thing is I came to the realization that I had to change a little too late. After I was kicked out and after I was about to lose the only things that truly mattered to me - her love. A funny thing happens when we truly love someone and lose them. We do what ever it takes to get them back. For me I had to drop bad habits that had caused not only our relationship to sour but practically every other relationship I had had in the past. Not only with women, but with friends, co-workers, family, you name it.

Which is why I say to you as my ex at the time said to me, the only thing you can do is change yourself. Work on yourself and improve on the person that you already are. Drop the negative things in your life that don't belong there and you will see all of your relationships start to take off to new heights.

im just taking a wild guess...

i've seen this before,and i think all this stuff your dog is doing came from a serious head injury that the previous owner didnt care about,Head or brain injuries are usually the case.Good Luck!

• ?

My dog is similar . LOL . Except the slow head turning , mine won't give paw due to unusual short legs but she is So-ooo cute and funny .

!

not abused

just a over bred, badly bred byb mix.

talk to vet about mediucal provlems

talk to trainer about it's behavior

You're clearly know and convinced yourself that dog is retarded. But that's sadly what happens to dogs that are interbed.

It's similar.