Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 years ago

Looking for some sources for information on crime within prisons?

I'm currently working on a paper for CJ 1010. Writing a 16 page paper on crime within the prison system in the United States. I'm having an extremely hard time finding any good sources on this as most of the information ive come across has been stories about one particular inmate and several crimes the one person committed.

I'm looking for broader more general sources. These little stories about one person isn't providing much information, they seem to be published more so for entertainment and media rather then research or discovery.

If you have any suggestions or interesting articles to share, please leave a comment and it would be greatly appreciated.

This is some of the stuff i'm looking for.

- Crime "rates" within the prison system

- Reasons, causes, or reactions of criminal activity within the prison

- Precautions U.S. prisons take to avoid further criminal activity within the correctional facilities and how effective they are.

- Inmates opinions or outlook on the world around them.

Please do not bother posting answers to those 4 things. I'm interested in the sources. While i'm sure it would be very interesting, unfortunately i can't list "John Doe - Yahoo Answers" as a reliable source. I'm interested only in sources or professionally written articles.

Thanks guys!

Favorite Answer

Every state has an agency called the DOC (Department of Corrections) or something similar. They are paid for by our taxes. They are publicly accountable. They publish reports. They have internal disciplinary systems with rules and regs. They publish those. There are criminologists at colleges and universities in every state. There are only 50 states to choose from. Don't forget about Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. There is also the Federal Bureau of Prisons (FBOP) which is part of the U.S. Department of Justice (USDOJ) which publishes reports. See also http://www.fbi.gov reports. Sorry there isn't much information.

1

Source(s): Criminal Record Search Database : http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?cnPv