Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 8 years ago

Girls, does douching actually work?

Just wondering, i've never tried it but my mom does. If so when should you start using it & whatnot? Any tips or advice?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Most doctors and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommend that women don't douche. Douching can change the delicate balance of vaginal flora (organisms that live in the vagina) and acidity in a healthy vagina. One way to look at it is in a healthy vagina there are both good and bad bacteria. The balance of the good and bad bacteria help maintain an acidic environment. Any changes can cause an over growth of bad bacteria which can lead to a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis. Plus, if you have a vaginal infection, douching can push the bacteria causing the infection up into the uterus, fallopian (fuh-LOH-pee-uhn) tubes, and ovaries.

Most doctors say it's best to let your vagina clean itself. The vagina cleans itself naturally by making mucous. The mucous washes away blood, semen, and vaginal discharge. You should know that even healthy, clean vaginas may have a mild odor.

Keep the outside of your vagina clean and healthy by washing regularly with warm water and mild soap when you bathe. You should also avoid scented tampons, pads, powders, and sprays. These products may increase your chances of getting a vaginal infection.

• 8 years ago

Work for what? It works to give a vagina infection at least for me and a lot of people I know. My mother grew up in a time when doctors recommended douching. Doctors seldom recommend it now.

• 8 years ago

Ask any gynecologist that question and you will no doubt hear them tell you not to douche, ever. The vagina is a self cleaning, it does not to be douched and douching disrupts the balance of yeast in the vagina making you more vulnerable to yeast infections.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

NEVER use a douche. They have done studies and found that it is actually bad for your body. It messes with the vagina's natural pH balance. Let your body clean it's self out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

i am currently taking a human sexuality class. Our book says that douching is bad for the female body. It can cause a variety of problems.

Source(s): The book is in the other room, lol.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Is that where you go out with a douche bag for a month?

• 8 years ago

It cleans you out but your body will do that on its own and its really not good for you I don't think toy should unless its recommended by a doc

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.