Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 6
? asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 9 years ago

What modern language is most similar to Latin?

I've heard it's actually Romanian, do you think that's true?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Romania claims to be directly descended from ancient Romans, but the language is not at all like Latin.

The closest living descendant of Latin is Italian. It is somewhat simplified in the grammar. It is "Latin" as spoken by people who just picked it up by ear, with no formal education in it -- the local tribes that lived under Roman rule but had languages of their own.

Most parts of modern Italy spoke their local dialects (original language mixed with Latin, 20 centuries ago) until well into the 1900s, when the official Italian (actually the language as spoken around Tuscany) was promoted for use in schools. As education became widespread after World War 2 everyone finally learned Italian, although some older people still speak dialect.

Although Italian spelling is quite different from the original Latin spellings, spoke Latin is fairly easily understood by Italians.

As the Roman Empire expanded eastwards, the tribes of modern-day Spain learned the language of their new masters, and this developed into Spanish. Again, different regions spoke different variations of it until quite recent times, when nationally sponsored education became widespread.

The same thing happened with Portuguese, which is much closer to Spanish than to Italian. All three of these can understand each other in spoken language, but not so much in written. South American Spanish and Portuguese have departed more from the originals, with national/regional differences in the Spanish.

French has strong roots in Latin, but grammatically developed in a different direction. It bears little resemblance to the other "Romance" languages today.

English contains many Latin words, mostly through the French, but no direct connection and totally different grammar (for example, in all the Romance languages, actual words themselves have gender, quite distinct from the gender of what they are describing).

Source(s): Understand varying amounts of all five. Six counting English.
  • 9 years ago

The Romance languages. People say that Italian is the most similar. I think Romanian is actually one of the least similar.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Italian Spanish

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Yeah. That's why they're known as by way of the identical title. I must consider that a Greek individual would undertand classical Greek within the identical manner that a Modern Hebrew speaker is familiar with Classical Hebrew. See, there's no such factor as "Modern Latin", or that could have the identical dating.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

No I don't think it's true.

Because I think :

1.Spanish

2.Portuguese

3.Italian

• 7 years ago

sardinian & dalmatian were some of the earliest languages to split off from vulgar latin, and have changed little since then, making them the closest to what latin was. french is actually about the most different

• I'd go with Italian or Spanish, myself.

• 4 years ago

Romanian gramaticaly...like grammar but romanian have many words from turkish, slavs, germanic etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.