Matt asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 8 years ago

Just installed W7 64 bit on a SSD. Should I reinstall all programs?

My previous OS was windows 7 32 bit. If i go to my old program files folder (drive letter changed from C to F), I can open programs normally. Should I reinstall all programs? Or will i get away with only reinstalling programs with 64 bit versions?

I have multiple drives and am booting from the SSD with 64 bit. The strange thing is that I am still able to open some programs through the old renamed drive.

Best Answer

It sounds like you didn't upgrade/replace the existing version of Windows 7 32-bit on the C: drive partition. Do you now have a mulit-boot setup?

You need to change your system configuration so that you're booting from the SSD drive. And yes, at that point you will have to re-install all your programs, 32-bit or 64-bit doesn't matter, so that the registry of your new version of Windows (64-bit) gets properly updated.

Whether you install the 64-bit version of the programs (if you have them) is up to you. The 64-bit versions will allow you to use more memory & access more data, so it's a good idea to use them where they're available, but the 32-bit versions will continue to work fine.