Tammy Painter asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Can you make homemade dog dandruff shampoo?

My little dog has dandruff and I would like to make a homemade shampoo for her instead of paying a lot for some fancy shampoo that may or may not work. Does anyone have any recipes?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Nope. You can do more damage than good mixing things. If it is just flakey skin, look for a soap free aloe/ oatmeal dog shampoo $10-$20 at any pet store. Avoid anything from Hartz or Sargent's and do not use a flea shampoo. Bath a maximum of once a month. Brush frequently and add a fish oil Supplement once a day human or dog brand. If she is eating a grocery store dog good UP GRADE to a Premium. Look for one that advertises high omegas. Taste of the wild makes a great fish diet you may consider. Hope this helps, good luck

• kitson
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Homemade Dog Dandruff Shampoo

• 4 years ago

DO NOT wash your dog any more than once a month. Over washing will strip their skin of their natural oils and cause more problems. I personally do every other month unless my dog is extra grimy. Use homemade dog shampoo that has oatmeal in it or use a dog shampoo from the store with oatmeal. Also, give your dog a raw egg about every other day. Raw eggs are good for the skin and coat. Plus add a couple tablespoons of coconut oil into the dog food everyday. Coconut oil is so very healthy. Great for skin and many other things. It is anti just about everything and also speeds healing. I not only use it for my dog but my children and myself as well.

• 8 years ago

You may be bathing her too often causing the skin to get dry & scaly because you are constantly washing away all her natural body oils. Dogs should not be bathed any more often than once every 4 to 6 weeks.

Here are a bunch of sites on how to make home made dandruff shampoo for dogs.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGklL4kVtPFC...

Brush the dog more to stimulate the skin. Add oil to the dog food. Don't bathe too often. If you feel you must bath more often than ever 4 to 6 weeks, you need a good conditioner to replace some of the oils you washed away.

With no naturals oils on a dogs body, an application of flea &/or tick oil based treatment will just sit in the one spot & cannot travel to cove the rest of the body. it all sitting in one spot can cause a reaction toxic to the dog.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.