EdReedINT asked in SportsBasketball · 8 years ago

Why do some people say Derrick Rose isn't a "true PG"?

He's clearly the best scorer AND passer on the team, so unless somebody else is open why should he give up the ball? It's not like he's playing with Dwight Howard or Kobe. People say CP3 is a better PG which I disagree with totally, hes a good scorer but having Blake Griffin significantly bolsters his assist numbers, also head to head Rose has had huge games. As a Celtics fan I'd WAY rather have Rose than Rondo, not that Rondo is bad but Rose is such a scoring threat the big 3 would be open more, meaning Roses assist numbers would go up and his points would go up. I just don't get why people call him a ball hog, for Chicago, it's BEST that he's a ball hog.

Best Answer

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head. If we were talking in-person I would shake your hand. I just think people that aren't fans of Rose try to find one fault in his game, basically just to bring down a great player. Like he has hit a great number of gamewinners in his career but bcuz he missed a couple of freethrows down the line he's not clutch??? Really? I would say Rose missed about 4 important freethrows during his college & NBA years together but had over 30 clutch performances in the NBA alone.

He's not even a ball hog, I would say a ball hog would have to have less assist than 3. His scoring is way down this year by choice.

Derrick Rose is an amazing scorer, and great passer when he wants to be.

The thing with Rose is he shoots too much at times (especially the 3) and doesn't get teammates as involved, considering they're good...Luol Deng and Carlos Boozer are both reliable offensive weapons. They need to be averaging more than 15 points like they are now.

I think rose is a great PG and i think he's the best in the league but i will say this i don't think he's all that great of a passer and he doesn't have a mid range game. Like when he's open you know he might miss fall every time

you can't credit chris paul's high assist average entirely on blake griffin. he was averaging 9 to 10 apg even with a crappy hornets squad. steve nash is a great shooter and is still able to lead the league in assists even after amare stoudemire left the suns.

i agree derrick rose is a great scorer, but why can't derrick rose get his teammates those same looks with the number one team in the east?

Rose's playing style is scoring while most "true PG" are pass first style which is quite uncommon now, I mean the best PG in the NBA this Century are all scorers (Parker, Rose, A.I and Westbrook) .

• McCafe

A true pg is someone who passes first such as Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, or Ricky Rubio. No one is saying he isn't a good PG, just hes more of a power PG.

• ?

Derrick Rose MVP

• James

People are just arrogant. If you put Rose with someone like Howard or Dirk, he'd average like 9 assists. Of course he looks to score because that's how the coach has the offense set up. People just don't realize that.

CP3 is better than rose at steals,blocks,assist(but Paul can dish to Griffen),and rebounding

People are idiots. Rose is better than any other PG.