Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationOther - Games & Recreation · 8 years ago

Does gyarados make a good specially defensive tank?

I wouldnt say special wall since it also has very good offensive capabilities and has no recovery move but with his stats:95 hp and 100 Sp def arent too bad, in fact pretty good. It can still survive a non stab thunderbolt or you can always avoid them with proper team support.(Ground)

Alot of people might say it might not work with that nasty electric weakness but look at swampert,gliscor,ferrothorn,forretress,blisey They are all walls with nasty weaknesses also:

Gliscor:he is known for a good physical wall but can get destroyed by ice punch which alot of sweepers carry and even worse from ice beam.

Blissey:One hit from a physical fighting attack can kill her

Swampert:even a careful swampert with curse can get destoryed by grass attacks

Forretress:May be good defensively but can die from flareblitz or a special fire attack

Ferrorthorn:dont know much about this guy since I dont do gen 5 but I know he has good stats defensively in both stats, but compeletly gets destroyed by fire attacks which ruins his role as a defender

All these pokemon are meant to take hits but not from certain hits so how is Gyarados different? He also has initmidate to lessen damage from rock attacks also

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Gyarados is not different, in fact, he can even function as a defensive wall! (while still being able to hit back hard)

I once did a big research project analyzing different teams, and out of the 5 stall teams I researched, 2 of them had a Gyarados in it. In both teams Gyarados was EVed as physically defensive, because Intimidate makes it very bulky on the physical side too. This combined with its naturally high Special Defensive makes it very bulky on both sides. Gyarados can stop most set-up sweepers in their tracks, and can function as a status absorber with Rest and Sleep Talk too.

These were the sets:

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 Spe

Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

- Waterfall

- Roar

and

Gyarados @ Leftovers

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe

Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)

- Waterfall

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

- Roar

Another defensive Gyarados was used in one of the balanced teams I reseached, this was its set:

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP/200 Def/16 Spd/40 SDef

Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Waterfall

- Rest

- Roar

- Sleep Talk

P.S. I'm not Japanese, I'm Dutch. The Japanese Pokemon name in my profile was a hint to my primary account... I've received the message, and I've sent one back too, but apparently it didn't arrive. Stupid Y!A message system :@ ... If you send a message to Gyarazor@Gmail.com, I can send you the RMT text if you want?

• Login to reply the answers
  • sant
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Bulky Gyarados

• 8 years ago

Well, if your talking 4th gen, then yes. His base special defence is 100, which is pretty good. Gyrados, according to its stats, is supposed to be a mixed from attack and wall. It's a mix from special wall and physical attacker, as its physical base attack is 125.

Here's some movesets that might help

Sweeper: Dragon dance, earthquake, hydro pump/surf/aqua tail, and ice fang

Annoyance: Toxic, protect, attract, hyper beam with left overs.

• 8 years ago

You could make it a defensive pokemon. Don't know how as most are offensive, using their natural bulk to setup.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.