Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearXbox · 8 years ago

Why did Microsoft call the Xbox the 360 instead of the Xbox 2?

It may have sounded cool at first but did they not look at how calling it the 360 is going to look stupid in the long run.

Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox 720

Xbox 1080

Xbox 1440

You see it starts to look retarded as it gets into its 4rd and 5th generation hell even the 720 sounds kinda lame.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Hi

I believe it's called 360 as in 360º (degrees)... as in complete cycle, being a metaphor for "XBOX covers it all... gaming, internet, etc...)

Source(s): Cutting edge technology inside my monkey skull.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

It would have sounded older than the PS3 if they had called it the Xbox 2, so they gave it a different name. Chances are the next one won't be called xbox 3, but it's unlikely to be 720 either. 360 could also be seen as suggesting the console is a "Revolution" in games consoles, 720 sounds stupid.

• dimo
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

There's no real reason to believe they're going to stick with this naming scheme beyond the 360. The next xbox likely won't be called the 720 at all, but something totally new.

• 8 years ago

There was a competition in the OXM magazine for naming it. The name Xbox 2 doesn't really stand up and sound as good as PS3 simply because 3 is bigger than 2.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jonny
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Obviously Microsoft chose "360" because they love video quality. 720, 1080.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Because it can do everything and is your hub for entertainment. Sony has been talking about this for years if not over generations of consoles and failed....M$ has succeeded in making a social network entertainment center that is more than just video games.

Next console will be called Windows 8

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

it's true that it does sound cool at first and that eventually it gets redundant, but there have been rumors that Microsoft is going to develop a completely new game systeme. you may want to look into it.

• 8 years ago

i guess they were probably gona make a lite version of xbox 360 and call it xbox 180

• 8 years ago

Well they wanted something catchy. unlike PS3 its like hey want to go play with my playstation3? like come on its boring when you hear wanna game on the 360? sounds way better.

• 8 years ago

idk but to me xbox 2 sounds weird also it makes them more different from playstation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.