Has anyone working through DSS or Kelly services at Eli Lilly in Indianapolis been hired on full time?

I've had a couple of chances to work at Eli Lilly, but it would be through one of these staffing firms. One place told me that I could never become a Lilly employee, but the other claims that around 70% of the people eventually get hired on full time. Anyone out there have any input?

Favorite Answer

A former Lilly employee said that contract employees were occasionally hired full time in the past but that policies may have changed recently. You might also consider Roche Diagnostics.

• plainy

Kelly Services Indianapolis

Consider an agency but be assertive what you want and need. Here is the pluses and minuses of employment agencies.

Employment Agencies (contract employees): Employment Agencies do more harm in this country than you want to know. Each state has one to five thousand of them, [sounds like a rabid animal] but the damage is equally dangerous. Some more, some less but this country is now subject to 88,183 agencies with 927 in Kentucky and 5435 New YorkState. Each one of these agencies have approximately 250 to 500 employees playing workplace roulette every month. After the clock bongs “YOU’RE DONE,” you jump out of the pressure cooker and into the unemployment line. Those applications for unemployment benefits will include one or more agency names on each application. These are monsters that are destroying the economy in every state. They need federal regulations. If there were fewer agencies there would probably be fifty million or more Americans employed in the American economy. This is a sad statistic.

Which agencies engage in this type of employment practice? Pick one. The bigger the name, the more they have to place. They hire you, they dominate you, and they stalk you and whatever happens you don’t get a permanent job or even a chance to seek out a permanent advantage for yourself. If you are lucky enough that can happen from one to three days. All of a sudden you are working, feeling great, you love the job, you love your co-workers and they love you. Then after a few weeks you have knocked yourself out, been on time, been there every day, and life is great. The big Kahuna comes by your desk and says “welcome, glad to have you with us.” You thank him and reassure him that you are enjoying the job and would love the challenge and to be chosen for the position.

It’s Friday and you wander what next week will bring. You are filled with anticipation and then it is the end the day, begins the weekend and off you go. See you Monday, have a good weekend, they say, and you return the exit greeting.

Upon arriving home you see the light blinking on your home answering machine. You hit the play button and listen, “hello Ms. Smith. I am sorry I missed you before you left the office, I was having a very busy day and the time got away. But I wanted to let you know that you won’t be going back to XYZ corp. on Monday. Mr. Kahuna decided that they were going to consider other options, so call me Monday morning.” It suddenly all fell together. You look at the time she called and it says, 4:51 pm. I leave the office at 5:00 pm. Mammoth fib number one.

Their reasons are anyone of the following and I have heard them all. Only a small percentage repeated here. But this only puts another poor unsuspecting job search candidate into the revolving door and life goes on.

Scenario 1: They tell you: “We’re so sorry, that was a great opportunity and we were not aware that the Vice President who was out of town made other arrangements”

They tell the company: “Ms. Smith informed us over the weekend that she would be pursuing other opportunities.

Scenario 2: They tell you: “We’re so sorry, that was a great opportunity and we were not aware that the President who was out of town made other arrangements”

They tell the company: “Ms. Smith informed us over the weekend that she would be going back to school.

Scenario 3: They tell you: “We’re so sorry, that was a great opportunity and we were not aware that the Owner who was out of town made other arrangements”

They tell the company: “Ms. Smith informed us over the weekend that she just landed another position.

Scenario 4: They tell you: “We’re so sorry, that was a great opportunity and we were not aware that the company is experiencing a merger.”

They tell the company: “Ms. Smith informed us over the weekend that she would be taking care of her elderly mother. She was not accepting such low pay.

Scenario 5: They tell you: “We’re so sorry, that was a great opportunity and we were not aware that the Vice President who was out of town made other arrangements”

They tell the company: “Ms. Smith informed us over the weekend that she would be pursuing other opportunities. We had a misunderstanding on the duties of the position.

Scenario 6: They tell you: “We’re so sorry, that was a great opportunity and we were not aware that the position was a temp.”

They tell the company: “Ms. Smith informed us over the weekend that she would be pursuing other opportunities. She was not aware this was just a temporary position. [My foot, it was peddled as a permanent position with extensive room to grow.