Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

Is it ok to feed my cat wet and dry food?

Is it ok if i feed my cat canned food that i buy at the grocery store with a high quality dry food like Wellness or Orijin?

Favorite Answer

Feeding both dry and wet is recommended by the Waltham Center. They are the largest pet nutrition research center in the world. Mixing both wet and dry helps to keep the cat at a healthy weight and also helps improve urinary tract health. I feed Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Healthy Weight Formula dry food and also canned food to my four cats and they love it. So far none of my three male cats have any issues with urinary tract infections. Two of my cats are a little overweight, but that's because my husband gives them too many Feline Greenies Treats. Good luck and hope this helps.

Mix It Up For Better Cat Health

Some cat owners swear by wet food. Others insist dry is best. And according to the WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition, both sides have merit. In fact, WALTHAM® research shows that mixing wet and dry cat food together benefits your cat in more ways than one.

Benefits of Mixed Feeding

Improved Urinary Tract Health — When you feed your cat a diet of dry kibble mixed with a high moisture, wet food, it increases your cat’s water intake resulting in more urine production. The higher water volume dilutes the urine while increasing the frequency of urination — both of which help prevent the formation of mineral crystals or urinary stones.

Better Weight Management — WALTHAM® studies have shown cats that are fed a high moisture diet eat less, gain less weight per calorie eaten and have increased activity levels compared with cats fed only a dry food diet. What’s more, owners tend to better control the size of their cat’s meal portions when part of the diet contains wet food.

Healthy Metabolism — With more real meat and fewer carbohydrates, wet food provides a healthy balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates that satisfies a cat’s instinctive feeding behavior and helps maintain a healthy metabolism.

Enhanced Eating Enjoyment — When given a choice, cats prefer to eat a mixture of both wet and dry foods. Wet food is shown to increase enjoyment whereas dry food satisfies her desire to eat many small meals throughout the day.

Improved Oral Health — The crunchy texture of dry food helps keep teeth clean by scraping away plaque and tartar.

Recommended Mixed Feeding Program

While each cat is different, WALTHAM® studies have shown that a mixed feeding program is beneficial for both weight management and urinary tract health. For weight management, at least 1/3 of the total daily food intake should be wet food. If urinary tract health is the goal, then wet food should make up a least 3/4 of the daily volume.

Source(s): http://www.nutro.com/pet-center/mixing-wet-and-dry... Pet nutrition Specialist with Nutro Owner of four cats, or do they own me?
  • Kelley

Yup but make sure the back of the dry food bag doesn't have "by products" in the ingredient list. Wellness is such a good brand isn't it? I haven't tried Orijin for my cat I should though.

yes, i do the same with my cat only thing i dont like is the poop smell way worst.lol

yes

Of course.

Yes. :D