Black people in the Bible. Why are some Christians logic so flawed?

Where did black people come from if Adam and Eve were white? This question has been asked several times and the same 2 answers keep coming up.

Popular Answer 1. Genesis 4:15 - The LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him. -- Supposedly the mark on Cain is that he is now black. Assuming he was born ‘otherwise’. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Popular Answer 2. Genesis 9:25 - he said, Noah curses Canaan. –Now Canaan is black too? What was he before? --This would directly conflict with the older set of black people from Cain’s.

Which answer is it? One answer cancels out the other either way. It makes no sense.

In addition to the fact that no color was mentioned on Adam and Eve or anybody in the Bible.

How or why can some people believe this?

Blood of Jesus saves - I have the book of enoch. I've read it several times and we had a reading party with it at work in the cafeteria. Nothing of the sort was mentioned. Where does it say that? Also, Noah was not mentioned by name but I know it was him.

@J - Drop the attitude. I'm trying to make a point to some people who use the bible as a reason for racism and to do things to others. It goes all kinds of ways. Either answer or take a hike!

@Kaganate - Thank you for answering the question and sharing your insight. I agree with what you've said.

@God of my salvation - It is flawed to take a biblical charachter and label him black and then use it to justify slavery and everything someone wants to do to a nother human being. How is that not flawed. Also, I said some christians. If you took offense, maybe you fit that cataegory of 'some christians'.

@Joe P - I never assumed they were white. My point is, they could have been green with yellow polks dots. We don't know. but some people assume they were white and that black people can only exist from a curse. That is my point of how someone can believe such a thing.

If you read my question you'd see I asked, "How can someone believe such a thing" meaning that I don't.

Favorite Answer

Both of those popular answers are bogus.

Certainly can't be Cain seeing as all of humanity was rebooted at the flood -- only Noah and his family survived.

Interesting note: Noah was descended from Seth, his wife was descended from Cain -- so, Biblicaly speaking, we are all descendants from Cain.

The invention of a mark of race for Canaan was a circular reasoned justification for the slave trade invented in the 18th century.

---

Bottom line -- the whole concept of Black and White races was invented in roughly the 18th century to dehumanise African slaves.

It did not exist for the early worlds of the Bible.

There was no conceptual difference in the ancient world between kinky hair and the particular "african features" versus lets say blue eyes or red hair or ...any other physical characteristic.

I have NEVER heard that Adam & Eve were white, or Black for that matter. Ethnic differences may have well occurred during the construction of the Tower of Babel, where God scrambled everything, and all the people looked for their own "kind."

You assuming that Cain was Black (or saying others have said it) is quite a reach.

Canaan Black? Never heard that one.

Now the Bible DOES say that Moses had a wife from Ethiopia, which I have always ASSUMED she was a black person. Just because I make that assumption doesn't mean she was Black.

To a large degree, the answer goes back to Slavery in the Americas. Slavery has existed since the earliest recorded times. But as the American slave trade started, and huge numbers of Africans were shipped to the west Indies, and eventually the American colonies, people began to associate the institution with race. Also, since slavery was not a large part of European culture(they had serfdom early on, and after the black plague it was an economially unsound way of doing business, though it was not actually illegal in many european nations), people did not see anyone other than blacks enslaved.

As the age of Reason dawned, and people began to question the morality of slavery, those invested in the economics of slavery had to find reasons to justify their position. Religious ones were the most common reason, and the two passages you quoted were the ones they believed best justified slavery. And yes, it is a lot more than a stretch to say that the mark of Cain was to make him black(given the mark actually afforded him protection from harm), or that Canaan and his decendants were suddenly black.

Other reasons given were equally unconvincing. The most comon was "it's for their own good"

. Whether because they were converted to Christianity, and thus had their souls saved, or because they were "provided" regular food and clothing, or because they were taught "civilized" languages or technology or culture, those who believed in slavery found it easier to come up with justifications than face the fact of what they gained from the institution. Either they benefited economically by owning a slave or slaves, or they gained socially, because no matter how poor or uneducated a white man was, he was infinitely higher in standing socially than the most educated of slaves.

In the bible everything was created "according to its kind". A kind is a classification of species from which there can be derivations. For instance look at all of the different kinds of finches and yet they are all finches. In the same way human beings were created as a kind and could derivate in many different ways. There is no way to really know Adam or Eve's skin tone and it does not really matter because race is irrelevant. It appears that the further the human species got from perfection that the ability to bring different "races" of human into existence faded away as well.

The Bible is silent on the skin pigmentation of Adam and Eve. Why do you (or anyone) assume they were "white"?

The Bible is silent on what this mark of Cain specifically is. It is wrong to assume anything where the Bible is silent in any passage.

are logic is not flawed

skin color is a dna switch

all colors of the skin are coded in our dna

god caused it at the tower of babel when he changed the languages

they come from sheba and dedan and cush

Cush (also Kush, Biblical כוש Kûš) was the eldest son of Ham, brother of Mizraim (Egypt), Canaan and the father of Nimrod, and Raamah, mentioned in the "Table of Nations" in the Genesis 10:6 and I Chronicles 1:8. He is traditionally considered the eponymous ancestor of the people of Cush, a dark-skinned people inhabiting the country surrounded by the River Gihon, identified in antiquity with Arabia Felix and Ethiopia.

Well God made only white people first but then they had sex and all different colored babies started popping out. Well eve said she liked the white ones do Adam sent the other colored ones to live on different parts of the earth. At the time there was do few people on the earth that Adam and eve had no idea of the problems that would evolve after hundreds and hundreds of years of people reproducing. Now we have wars and racism! I wish eve would gave wanted to keep all her children of every color with her and taught humans to love from the beginning!!

• Hank

White,black,brown,yellow,red skin people are different on the outside;alike in the inside, that all have minds to choose things and hearts that pump blood. Jeremiah 13:23 "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither can you do good;who are accustomed to doing evil."

• J

Why is this a question that the bible needs to answer?

The fact that you can't see that this is a completely arbitrary requirement to place on the bible . . .

Do you even know what the bible is?

• DAVID

I expect someone got covered with the tar used to caulk the seams of the Ark. As acetone had not been invented, they could not get it off.