Is Atheism an "easy way out" of real spirituality?

We are such a society of convenience, has this helped make atheism more known as set of thinking habits vs. a more open minded approach? Sure there are closed minded religious people, but most of them are realists, with a few that appear less so. Spirituality rather supernatural reality, if it exists, requires a "letting go" of certain ideas or feelings at least temporarily and / or some vigorous intellectual work. Is Atheism just an easy way out of that?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

Nope,,another failed attempt here ,,there is no god and spirituality is utter bullcrap,,nothing more than the human imagination playing tricks,,

• Nous
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Christianity is blind obedience to the child abuse of having been forced to be christian from a very early age. Thankfully so many children use their education and growing intellect to discover the truth and step into reality!

It is the Christian victims that are too lazy to look at the truth!

Acceptance of a supernatural claim tends to promote cooperative social relationships. This communication demonstrates a willingness to accept, without skepticism, the influence of the speaker in a way similar to a child's acceptance of the influence of a parent. By encouraging this kind of behavior where the most intense social relationships occur it facilitates the lack of skepticism and deters more open minded thinking.

They are christian, Muslim or the other religions depending where they were born simply because they were indoctrinated by their parents as very young children. They will go on to indoctrinate their own children and those will go on to indoctrinate their grandchildren!

Atheists have the intellect to see through the conditioning and escape into the real world!

Agnostics have the intellect to see through the conditioning but lack the courage to throw of the conditioning entirely.

Sadly Christians, muslims and others are still held firmly prisoner by the self perpetuating brainwashing!

Source(s): University of Missouri-Columbia. Arizona State University
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Atheism only works if you do not believe God exist. Some people just weren't introduced to religion, so they mostly likely are to remain atheist. Other people who did inherit a religion through their guardians, perhaps, didn't see the work of God in their lives as many claimed, and neither did theology make any sense for them for whatever reason and that caused them to doubt and in due time it either produced atheism, agnosticism, or any other variants. But no, if you believe in spirituality, meaning that you believe there is world beyond the physical, i.e., spirits, ghost, etc., you can't just escape it overnight. It takes a long time to unravel past ways of thinking.

• Marty
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Easy?!?! I used to be a Christian, and becoming an atheist was a process. It didn't just happen, it took a lot of soul searching and learning. I know how hard it is...You have to work harder to find the answers but the ones you get are real. It makes you actually think about why you have the morals you do. Were you raised with them? Are they realistic expectations of yourself and society? Are they ethical? As a Christian you take that for granted. You take someone else's word, rather than actually think about it you ask someone else who is just further isolated from reality by their "relationship" with god.

I am actually ashamed to think that I believed in immaculate conception, creation, armageddon, resurrection and all that other nonsense...It's no different than any other mythology... But I believed it to the point of fundamentle idiocy and as a Seventh Day Adventist I was actually praying for the world to end...That's f**ked up...Yet, it's perfectly "normal" christian behavior... It took a lot of self education to unscramble my brain and start thinking rationally...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Definitely not. Atheism takes more faith than believing in God himself. Imagine how hard it is to believe that EVERYTHING is a result of science and the Big Bang Theory. The probability of human life construction and the body systems in less likely than putting all the pieces of a watch (ie: 3 hands, 2 wrist straps, multiple pins...etc) into a bag, shaking it, and watching it work as perfect as it does after a watch-maker puts it together.

With that being said, how can one stand on a belief that there isn't an intelligent designer out there who created everyone and everything?

Atheism is a complete lie of a "religion".

• 8 years ago

Truly you jest, or are just messing with us, my friend. It takes more intellectual mind work to ascertain that there is not a god than to merely follow the masses as a mouse to a flute.

The majority of highly educated people do not believe in a god. This does not make them non-spiritual. There is a difference between the words spiritual, god believing, and religious. The majority of uneducated, poor and those without University level educations are religious.

Lv 7
    8 years ago

Atheists can be spiritual. Ask any Buddhist.

The only thing atheism is, is a lack of belief in gods. Nothing more or less than that.

• EAH
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Atheism is just non acceptance of God

AND the supernatural.

There are plenty philosophical or spirituality add ons,

to replace religion.

eg. To study the night sky and be amazed at what life

exists between the stars,

far exceeds any fairy story about heaven and eternal life.

• 8 years ago

Most people - atheists and believers - do not want to let go of anything they are attached to and avoid vigorous intellectual work.

Some atheists believe they do not believe, but still find the energy to insult anyone who does not believe as they do.

Some atheists are actively pushing the boundaries, exploring new ideas and lifestyles.

• 8 years ago

What are you going on about?

There's no such thing as "the supernatural." That being said: atheists can be -- and many are -- spiritual. Never heard of Buddhists?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No. Religion is the easy way out. Let a preacher in the pulpit tell you what to believe, what to think and how to behave and a 'god' will take care of everything else.

It takes a thinking mind to to set yourself free from religion which requires effort on the part of one's mind.

It's not the 'easy way out' it's the proper way forward.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.