The mother has a 12 year old. Her boyfriend wants to adopt the child.?

Can the boyfriend adopt the 12 year old without being married to the mother? This boyfriend has been to jail over abuse towards the mother and the child. This is occuring in Illinois. The paternal father they are trying to take to court for him to sign over his parental rights. But they are saying they can do... show more Can the boyfriend adopt the 12 year old without being married to the mother?
This boyfriend has been to jail over abuse towards the mother and the child.
This is occuring in Illinois.

The paternal father they are trying to take to court for him to sign over his parental rights. But they are saying they can do this without being married or him signing over his rights.

Just want your opinions, but we are already inquiring to attorneys
Update: No I am not stupid, I just wanted others general opinions. The mother feels that she has some pull despite her own record because her uncle is a circuit court judge in that district. (And yes, it has helped her get things done under the table before). All I can say are these fools are liars- and NO mother would... show more No I am not stupid, I just wanted others general opinions.
The mother feels that she has some pull despite her own record because her uncle is a circuit court judge in that district. (And yes, it has helped her get things done under the table before).

All I can say are these fools are liars- and NO mother would let a man like this stay around her kids. But she chose him over the biological one 12 years ago when the biological father had a car accident and went into a coma and took years for him to recover from his disability. The mother is just plain stupid- and the bf a complete loser.